Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need OBX Help!!!!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Need OBX Help!!!!

Leaving Saturday AM for our OBX vacation.... heading all the way up to Carova (so a signifacnt beach drive).

My wife just called me and told me that our friends from Maryland (with 3 kids) took their AWD minivan. I say "took" because they're currently in Alabama visiting relatives and are heading straight to OBX from there.

... I fault myself for assuming they were bringing their Explorer. Hell I should've thought about it after another one of my friends said he was going to stop by for a visit on his way home from FL, in his AWD Audii (it actually took some effort to convince him how horrible of an idea that was).

So barring the option of making them drive all the way back from Alabama up to norther MD, unpack, repack and drive down to OBX; do you guys have any ideas?

First idea is to rent a 4x4. But i'm not sure a rental company will let them leave their van there... and/or if they don't allow rentals to go on the beach

Parking garages? Is there a parking garage or something nearby to Corolla where we can leave their van? I'll have to drive down and pick them up...

Any other ideas/options? I've never been to OBX, but regardless there's not even good tow points vans for if they get stuck (otherwise I'd consider towing them up the beach!!)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Actually if they air down a tad OBX isn't really that bad form what I've been told and seen its harder packed sand. But I never been there seen an AWD Nissan something on Carolina beach only get stuck once and the conditions there are pretty rough. Neil's been there before and I think AJ has been to so they should have some ensight.

I wouldn't be as worried if we weren't going way up to carova. The sand there is traveled on less and I presume more of a challenge.

The lack of tow points and both of our vehicles being filled with young kids is another challenge.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    I have rented a car and left my own car at their lot. They usually are cool with it.

I say rent the 4x4 from somewhere and let them know you will be taking it on the beach.
    Last edited by BonesWK; 07-05-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Although it kind of sucks for me... it looks like the OBX rental agency has a lot for people to park (although it's limited). So i'm having them call up to explain their error and see if someone will be nice enough to ensure they have a spot to park on Saturday..

Make it an adventure or challenge see if you can get them down the beach LOL

lol trust me man, all they needed was a front tow hook and i'd see if I could pull them down the beach with them in neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    lol trust me man, all they needed was a front tow hook and i'd see if I could pull them down the beach with them in neutral
    Strap them both up at once that would funny!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Matt, been there done that ! I wouldnt try getting the awd up there. My buddy took his Honda Ridgeline, had a few tense moments but he made it. He ended up ripping the plastic splash shield completely out. Ive seen splash shields, fender liners, airdams, etc laying all over. The worst part is right as you pull onto the beach. For the first mile or so the daytrippers come out and set up and the sand is very rutted and very soft. There is always someone getting stuck along there. In the rutted parts the XK would completely compress the suspension to the bump stops when loaded down. The rental agencies do have parking but its first come, first served and that means that you would have to provide transportation for them whenever they need it. We stayed about 8 miles up, just a mile or two from the end at the Va state line. There is at one point an old house on the water side of the dunes. The tide comes all the way up to it so watch the tide charts and plan your travels accordingly. Right along the same spot are a bunch of tree stumps at the water's edge, not too easy to see at night. I ran my KCs at night and the cops didnt seem to mind ( they do run patrols up there, the beach is considered state roadway and all laws of the road apply ). It would take us about 25 minutes to get from the house to the pavement. There are no stores up there , just a firehouse. The firehouse does have ice for sale usually, though they do run out easily they get it filled back up in a couple of hours. A house with an ice machine is the way to go. I NEVER felt as though I was going to get stuck but as you know, anything can happen. Also, drive around the little back roads up there. There are usually some nice little water hazards to play in. We all like the water hazards, right ? Be prepared to sit on the bridge across the sound for a couple of hours, if you dont have to than consider yourself lucky. LOL !! Have fun man and if you have any more questions, just ask.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Thanks Neil. I'm hoping we don't get stuck in traffic due to the time we're planning on getting there... but will see what happens.

Since we're running the same tires... what do you air down to? I was thinking of 15 PSI. I normally do 18 for wheeling at Rausch Creek.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information