Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RCV Heavy Duty CV Axles

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar

RCV Heavy Duty CV Axles

I'm not sure if anyone else caught this in Valpacer's recent wheeling thread from this past weekend. RCV - Off Road (a very well known company in the wheeling industry) now makes IFS CV Axles for the QT II WK's and XK's. Im not sure if anyone here on the forum has experience with RCV, but their products are absolutely amazing and can with stand any abuse that is thrown at them. Every day I see more and more members posting that they broke "yet another" cv axle while wheeling. I have yet to break one on my XK, but I know mine are getting weak and will need replacing soon so they dont break on the trail and leave me stranded. As you all know, once a cv breaks on our Jeep's, you need to be towed home unless you happen to have a spare cv axle with you. The vehicle will not move on its own in either forward or reverse with a snapped shaft.

I'm looking to order these as soon as I can afford them and totally redo my entire front end. I want to swap my JBA UCA's for RRO, change out my lower ball joints which are already garbage due to bad boots and install some new OME Struts with new coil isolators that I already have.

What are your thoughts on this? Would anyone with QT II ever consider spending that amount of money on CV Axles?

http://www.rcvperformance.com/

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I am saving up to put a set in the TJ. at 2k for a set, might as well do a solid axle swap
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    $2000?????????

How much do stock replacements cost?

Also, I have an Diablo iTune1000 programmer that has an option to completely shut off traction control. This may allow you to get back home if an axle breaks though I have not tried it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I would really like a set but i do want a SFA. MMMM choices, choices. Trying to convince the wife about it is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    I am saving up to put a set in the TJ. at 2k for a set, might as well do a solid axle swap
    I guess it all depends on what your trying to do with your rig. No one has successfully done a solid axle swap on an XK yet that I know of. Also these cv's will make your front axles just as strong as axes found in a solid axle. You obviously still don't get the articulation of a solid axle though but if you used these with a 4 inch lift you would have plenty of articulation. On an IFS the weak link is the cv's. This will fix that problem. Not only that but bad cv angles cause premature failure when off roading. These won't break even at steep angles.

Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    $2000?????????

How much do stock replacements cost?

Also, I have an Diablo iTune1000 programmer that has an option to completely shut off traction control. This may allow you to get back home if an axle breaks though I have not tried it.
    OEM cv's from the dealer can run up to $300 for one. You can get cheap ones from your local auto parts store for like $60 but they are garbage if you plan on wheeling you rig. You will break one of those a lot faster then the oem ones.

Your tuner will not fix the broken cv issue. If its broke your jeep won't move until you fix it. Trust me. Take off you front drive shaft next time you got an extra half hour to spare and use your tuner to disable the traction control and you will see what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by stites-xk View Post
    I would really like a set but i do want a SFA. MMMM choices, choices. Trying to convince the wife about it is a different story.
    I hear you! I would love a solid axle swap but you would need about $6000 cash to have a SFA installed.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    To bad this does not work with the QDII system. I have broke a cv while while on the trail & it does suck. Now I am not sure about the QTII system but I do know from experience that if you break an cv on the QDII system that it will still move under its own power while in 4lo.

I want stronger cv's so hope they do make them for the QDII

I did send them a message to make sure that they do not make on that will work with the QDII system.
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 07-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    To bad this does not work with the QDII system. I have broke a cv while while on the trail & it does suck. Now I am not sure about the QTII system but I do know from experience that if you break an cv on the QDII system that it will still move under its own power while in 4lo.

I want stronger cv's so hope they do make them for the QDII

I did send them a message to make sure that they do not make on that will work with the QDII system.
    Hmmm thats weird. I know for sure that the QT I guys are left stranded with a broken cv because I have witnessed it first hand. They dont have 4 low though. As far as the QT II guys, I know that if you drop the front drive shaft it does the same thing. Not allow the vehicle to move forward or backwards. Im not sure if I was in 4 low or 4 high when I experienced that at Rausch Creek. I havent broke a CV yet but based on what Ive heard from others with QT II your pretty much stranded. But even if it works in 4 low, you cant drive home from several hours away on dry pavement!!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    IMHO this only moves the weak point to the next step in the drivetrain. I would rather carry an axel that I can quickly change rather than blow up my front diff or Tcase. I could be totally wrong, but an easy change weak link seens to be a good thing. I hope someone tries them though, especially if it is Trialbyfire or Valpacer
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Hmmm thats weird. I know for sure that the QT I guys are left stranded with a broken cv because I have witnessed it first hand. They dont have 4 low though. As far as the QT II guys, I know that if you drop the front drive shaft it does the same thing. Not allow the vehicle to move forward or backwards. Im not sure if I was in 4 low or 4 high when I experienced that at Rausch Creek. I havent broke a CV yet but based on what Ive heard from others with QT II your pretty much stranded. But even if it works in 4 low, you cant drive home from several hours away on dry pavement!!!
    Unless you have a QT I converted to a manually shifted QT II, locked in high now to get the low fully functioning......
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The QDII system will lock the front diff if you have a broken CV and will still move, no 4-low needed.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information