Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RCV Heavy Duty CV Axles

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The QDII system will lock the front diff if you have a broken CV and will still move, no 4-low needed.
    Matt when I broke an cv axel it would not go at all unless it is 4lo. When it was in 4 hi all you hear was the broken cv spining from the diff side but would not move. The only time it would move is when it was locked in 4 lo.

I was not saying to drive hours on pavment, but it got me back to camp & to where I could arange to get fixed.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

this is the reply I got from then about QDII systems.

Hi Philip,

We do have a set for the stock Jeep Grand Cherokee 05-10 that has Electronic Limited Slip Differential or the "Quadra-Drive II®." The set on the website is for stock axle replacement. If you need modified lengths, we would need to know in order to make shafts to the proper length. We do have the product on the web, but the price is not online yet. The cost is $1,995 for the set. See the link for more details.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/produc...=CVJIFS-WK-LSD

Regards,

Dean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 12:51 PM
    To: "RCV Catalog Request"
    Subject: PHPMailer Test Subject via mail(), advanced

ATTENTION: Technical/Installation department

Name: Philip

City: Everett

State: WA

ZIP: 98208

Comment: Does your IFS CV axels work with a Jeep GC (05-10) that run the QDII system or does it only with the QT systems?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Nice. Looks like you QD II guys that break all the time can get these too!!!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Pj, so your front diff wasn't locking after the CV broke? I recall trialbyfire driving out of moab with a broken CV in 4hi but could be mistaken.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Pj, so your front diff wasn't locking after the CV broke? I recall trialbyfire driving out of moab with a broken CV in 4hi but could be mistaken.
    I believe he was in 4LO

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    now that I think about it... you're right. The elsd would disengage once you started moving since the wheel speed would match what it should be. You'd need to be in 4 low to keep it locked.

Lol but its probably easier to turn in 4low with a busted CV axle.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I believe he was in 4LO
    I was in 4LO both times. Once I drove out about 15 miles. The other time, it was about 90 miles home @50 mph. The QDII has a "limp mode" in the computer that is really nice!

I don't see spending $1000 each for CVs that, as Holaday says, would just make the new weak link more costly and inaccessible. I can buy a lot of $60 spares for $2000. Also, I didn't notice any difference between the OEM CV and the NAPA replacement, but the castings may not be the same quality. I wouldn't know.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    I was in 4LO both times. Once I drove out about 15 miles. The other time, it was about 90 miles home @50 mph. The QDII has a "limp mode" in the computer that is really nice!

I don't see spending $1000 each for CVs that, as Holaday says, would just make the new weak link more costly and inaccessible. I can buy a lot of $60 spares for $2000. Also, I didn't notice any difference between the OEM CV and the NAPA replacement, but the castings may not be the same quality. I wouldn't know.
    I would rather have a cv that i would never have to worry about then breaking everytime i wheel the XK hard, lose out on wheeling time and figure out how im going to get my jeep home. The cv's on our vehicles are way too weak. That doesn't necessarily mean if you installed the RCV axles that you will now blow your front differential or transfer case because the cv is no longer the weak link.

I'm not sure what napa replacement you got but the one napa gave me is garbage. Just compare the boot between the napa and oem. My passenger side cv is the oem original with 109,325 miles on it and nothing wrong with it. The drivers side napa cv that has been on maybe 15,000 already is leaking from the boot and needs to be replaced. Keep in mind the only reason I have the napa cv is because I somehow managed to strip the threads on the original drivers cv when I swapped out the wheel bearing.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    You make some good points but here is what I am worried about:

This happened along with a busted passenger CV. We wheel a 6500 lb vehicle with a front axle that is about 1" in diameter. Right now, the CV is the weak link. It costs $60 to replace and can be done on the trail (if we have a spare) in about 30 minutes. I am starting to know what tactics to avoid to prevent CV breakage, so there is a learning curve involved. If the OEM CVs are truly stronger, it is worth the extra $$. If the RCV CVs were $500 each, it would be at least tempting.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

when I broke mine and it was only once it was the passenger side. I wheeled it really hard when I broke it along with having 7 people in seatbelts at the time didn't help either. I replaced it with a Napa one. I haven't really wheeled it hard since then yet so if I break it again I will prob get the RCV ones.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information