Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RCV Heavy Duty CV Axles

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I've seen people bust pinions, yokes and even blow apart their carriers..... I think ill pass on the $2000 CV axles. Eventually ill just cary a $60 spare for each side. I don't want to be the guinea-pig and find out what's next in line for our vehicles.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    You make some good points but here is what I am worried about:

This happened along with a busted passenger CV. We wheel a 6500 lb vehicle with a front axle that is about 1" in diameter. Right now, the CV is the weak link.
    Is this the passenger side cv you broke? Or is it the shaft that goes inside of the passenger side of the diff???

I'll be the guinea-pig as long as someone doesn't beat me to it. I guess it doesn't help any that you guys have the electronic limited slip up front that can go to full lock. That probably part of the problem along with the power of the Hemi.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

That's actually what worries me the most. I would love to find out that once the CVs are bullet proof we'd actually lose traction before another part of the drivetrain grenades..... which is possible with the limited tire sizes we can run, even with 4" lift. The price of the CVs is just too much for me to risk.. but I'm all for seeing what happens if someone else is up for it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Is this the passenger side cv you broke? Or is it the shaft that goes inside of the passenger side of the diff???
    That is the shaft that goes from the diff to the passenger CV. I blew both up at the same time (sawing plus a little bouncing--but nothing violent!). We managed to extract the broken shaft pieces from inside the front axle with a good magnet, without disassembling the front diff (whew!).
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    That is the shaft that goes from the diff to the passenger CV. I blew both up at the same time (sawing plus a little bouncing--but nothing violent!). We managed to extract the broken shaft pieces from inside the front axle with a good magnet, without disassembling the front diff (whew!).
    I'll contact RCV tomorrow and have then make an inner shaft for our XKs that's stronger than the oem shaft.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Just found this thread!

My last cv did exactly that as well, 2nd trip out. Even my hobbled together factory shaft is lasting better, but still cant take the full lock max torque situation you can get offroad.

Yep, im pulling the trigger on a set of the QDII cv's, down here the factory shafts are over 2400 per set from the dealer, so cheaper than that. And even over 12 months at my current rate its worth the time on the track wheeling!

FJ cruisers (which are just landcruiser Prado's underneath) are running these type CV's on 34's and are not having issues with diffs or front shafts etc. And the WK front diff is stronger than the FJ by a mile, the extension shaft is 1 1/4" thick!. The front shaft CV's are very easy to change over too, so if that becomes the weak spot its even easier than doing a CV.

As soon as we work out the shipping they tell me it will be 2-3 weeks for delivery.

My SFA swap is at least 12 months away, rear LA conversion is hopefully starting in September, so these should get me through till then!
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Here is how mine ended up!

Im over this!

2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Awesome. If the drivetrain holds up to your abuse that'll make me feel a lot better.

I'm curious. Who here owns a 4.7 L with QT II and has snapped an oem cv axle?? Please post up!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I'm curious. Who here owns a 4.7 L with QT II and has snapped an oem cv axle?? Please post up!!
    I did passenger side on eagle rock last summer running a 2" lift and replaced it with a oem one. No problems since!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information