Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RCV Heavy Duty CV Axles

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Not sure if you'd be able to do them separately, it would depend on the minimum lift achieved by the SFA. Due to cradle clearances you may be looking at a minimum of 8" lift required up front.... not sure you'll want to drive around with the front 4+ inches higher the rear for a few months.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yea I never thought about that. And if your going to go as far as throwing a solid axle under the front end im sure you would want at least a 6-8 inch lift at minimum.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Exactly. And you'll probably want matching front/rear axles so you don't need wheel adapters.... plus you'll want to swap out the rear just so you have an axle that has aftermarket gears available.

Would love to see a 5.7L commander with 10" SFA, 37s and 5.13 gears...... droooool

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Yes and no. I think a SFA on our Jeeps is a little more involved then people think. I was under the XK a few weeks ago looking to see what all would be needed to do it. A big thing I noticed is that the entire front sub frame would need to be taken out. Well that would be the right way to do it. The problem is the engine mounts are connected to the sub frame. Once that's taken out you would need to make some custom engine mounts. With having a unibody the there is not much to weld to in that area so figuring that our would take some work. Then another issue is finding a place to mount a steering box and of course a custom front drive shaft which you could get made anywhere. I'd love to see this done but not sure that I'd want to be the first to attempt it.
    Actually, the space is really good, and as for the subframe, making a replacement with the same mounting points and a mount for the steering box is probably going to be the way to go. Even with the standard subframe a prorock 44 fits under the front end nicely. We may have lifted one up there to take a look when all the bits were out for the SL conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And to make a SFA worth it up front, you'll want to do equivalent linkage in the rear to get articulation to match. Similar to what JBA started doing with their 6" lift on Chris's WK.

It's a project i would like to see someone tackle. It won't be me for at least 8-9 years though.
    Mine will hopefully be done by the end of the year. The rear that is :-). Only instead of doing it the JBA style which is comprimised due to them leaving the gas tank in the factory location, we are relocating the gas tank to the spare wheel area (LRA tanks), which allows the use of a Claytons Triangulated long arm kit from a WG. Better articulation and ride all round.

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Yea I never thought about that. And if your going to go as far as throwing a solid axle under the front end im sure you would want at least a 6-8 inch lift at minimum.
    We are looking at a lower lift than I have now for the final height (LCOG style), which will be possible and have massive amounts of down travel (18" coilovers each corner).
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Exactly. And you'll probably want matching front/rear axles so you don't need wheel adapters.... plus you'll want to swap out the rear just so you have an axle that has aftermarket gears available.

Would love to see a 5.7L commander with 10" SFA, 37s and 5.13 gears...... droooool
    Rear gears are available, its the front thats the issue. Even with QDII the gears are still 8.25 corporate. And JK tone rings (which can be bought for just about any axle now) i have been told have the same tooth count as the WK ones so that solves the ESP/BAS and BAS issue. Although we will probably loose the rear axle for another pro 44 or perhaps a 60. Fitting a 60 under the front is another issue altogether.......
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

You can get 4.88,5.13,etc gears for our rears?

Good call with relocating the gas tank. That would be a PITA to work around.

Looking forward to seeing yours built up.

Any JK wrangler oem front axle or aftermarket will already have 5 on 5 bolt pattern.

You can get 4.88,5.13,etc gears for our rears?

Good call with relocating the gas tank. That would be a PITA to work around.

Looking forward to seeing yours built up.
    You can get any gear you want for the rear as we speak.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

To be honest Im actually looking at doing the 5 x 5.5 big bearing with the larger brakes, stopping a 6000lb wk on the std brakes in a hurry is no fun.

Oh I hear you. Sometimes it's hard to stop my XK and I
    Only running 33's. Not sure how it's going to handle the next set of 34's!!

Member Looking for Dirt
    Maybe I missed the post, but looking at the website listed it shows they have a set for the QD II.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information