Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible career/life change.

Possible career/life change.

Hey folks. I havent really been on in a while. Trying to deal with these surgeries the past few months! However I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some feedback on. Here goes, I'll take as many answers as I can get,either in the thread,or in a private message. I'm starting to think about a new career,and the US Army has been on my mind for a while now. I realize I would have to make some big sacrifices,but before talking with a recruiter I figured I'd get better and more honest answers from you folks. Some questions are: 1)what can I expect to make $ wise my first few yrs. 2) What expenses are/not covered? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    This is definitely the place for advice... lots of current military and vets. Hopefully they chime in.

One question I have is how will you injuries and surgeries affect your options?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I'm currently on my 10th year of Active Duty Army. The first couple years suck as far as pay goes unless you are married and/or have kids. If so its not all that bad because you will receive BAH (housing pay). When I joined I was only 18, no kids and not married so I lived in the barracks. Once you get some time in and get more rank the pay is great. Base pay goes off your current rank and years in service. Try to get in at the highest rank possible. If you have a college degree you can come in as an E4 (SPC). Active duty you get full health ins and dental. If you ask me the military is the way to go.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    If you HAVE a college degree, why not OCS?

Yeah, the butterbar catches as much - if not more crap - than an E-1, but my kid brother's been in the service 26 years now, made O-6 last year, and life is pretty good for him!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Answers really depend on some more information. How old are you? Are you married with kids? What are your long term issues with your injuries? What you looking to do in the army? And FYI guys Just because you have college don't mean you can go OCS either. The army has tightened its belt on recruitments. The standards are up and the bonuses are down. I was a PVT with a wife and kids and the pay was horrible pretty much had little left over and that was with no car payments. But as said it gets better with rank but depending on your MOS that could take sometime the service pay tables are easy to find online. The service isn't for everyone either and you can't just quit if you go and realize you don't want to do this anymore. You can send me a PM with the answers if you want I'll give you my honest opinion on it.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    x2 on what Sal said.

Any specific questions just shoot me a PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Answers really depend on some more information. How old are you? Are you married with kids? What are your long term issues with your injuries? What you looking to do in the army? And FYI guys Just because you have college don't mean you can go OCS either. The army has tightened its belt on recruitments. The standards are up and the bonuses are down. I was a PVT with a wife and kids and the pay was horrible pretty much had little left over and that was with no car payments. But as said it gets better with rank but depending on your MOS that could take sometime the service pay tables are easy to find online. The service isn't for everyone either and you can't just quit if you go and realize you don't want to do this anymore. You can send me a PM with the answers if you want I'll give you my honest opinion on it.
    Sal is correct, they have cracked down a lot. VERY few people with a degree are selected for OCS... and that includes prior service. I don't ship for another 2 months so my advice/experience is limited up to the delayed entry process. In regards to the application process to OCS, I treated that application like my life depended on it, and I made it a point to prove that to my recruiter. If you get a good recruiter, win their trust and approval and he/she will go out of there way to get things done. The only reason I say this is because the OCS application process is tough, as you might imagine - but it's also a PITA for the recruiter and requires a lot of work and deadlines for them as well. They will not look at anyone with a GPA of less than 3.0 from college.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Red face

Yeah, I should've mentioned that OCS is really looking more for degreed people in technical/professional fields these days. 16th century French Art History majors need not apply...
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never joined up, although sometimess I wish that I had. The biggest drawback to the military in my mind has always been financial. I doubt that without any college education that I could make close to six figures in the military although it has been a very real possibility in my civilian career. It has to be something that you really, really want to do for yourself and your country. Sal and I talked about it a little around the campfire and I saw the he joined because he felt it so much in his heart and soul that he just had to do it even though he wasnt 18 , more like pushing 30 I think.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    I think if I didn't get a job out of college right away I would have looked HARD at joining a branch of the military. I think the best way to go is do the college thing (even a 2 year) and then go join. Like others have said, it will be an instant raise when you join with some college under your belt.

I see all these guys my age that have served or are serving and they seem to have a little more something to them. I cant explain it, but its something I wish I had.

This probably was little help, but just sharing how I would have done it if the circumstances were different.
    Last edited by BonesWK; 07-12-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information