Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.7L Hemi Muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

5.7L Hemi Muffler

As preparation for when i destroy my muffler on a rock.... has anyone swapped out the muffler on their Hemi?

2 things I'm worried about

1) I dont want it too loud and I don't want drone on the highway.... listening to my kids whine on long trips is bad enough!

2) I don't want it to sound like crap with MDS (no, im not turning MDS off... lol i need all the mpg help i can get!)

To save cost, I'm pretty sure I'll just pick out a muffler and have it welded in when the time comes.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I did cat back with flow master 50 series suv W/3". its not that bad as unless you in it you don't hear alot. I can't answer about the mds part, mine is turned off. Once it stops raining up here I will do some sound clips
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

You removed the resonator when you did the catback?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    yes
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Any drone while cruising on the highway?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Ive got the flowmaster 50 muffler only, its then welded to the stock rear piece. Its loud when are you WOT, has a small drone on the highway but not annoying and you can hear when the MDS come on. I like the sound it makes not to much but I will be doing a straight pipe from muffler cause I want it to be loud. Keep in mind I have the intake on, before it wasnt as loud as it is now. Honestly if you arent on the throttle much like I am you wont notice to much of a difference.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Matt, here is a video of my exhaust. Its a cold start so rev no higher than 4krpm.. Let me know what you think

2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    The fellow that installed my new muffler yesterday suggested trying it with the resonator still in place and then deleting the resonator if I wanted it louder. I just had it do both while it was on the lift. If you are worried about drone then you might do it in steps. The stock muffler is huge. You will save the weight of a kid by replacing it with a Flowmaster like I did or a similar smaller muffler.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

As Huey said I will be doing a straight pipe from muffler, I dont have kids or a family to cart around so the noise I want to hear is the HEMI.. I came from the import world starting back in 98, before F&F, and all my exhausts have been loud. I will be exploring the option of headers once I have the $$$.. 07JeepXK and I were discussing possible cam options to..

Just had a chance to listen to the video... that sounds pretty good, i like it.

When you say "you can hear when MDS comes on"... how so? What does it sound like?

And im going to hear that in person on the 11th right? A good exhaust may make some obstacles "look" better just by having the big 5.7L sound as im hitting the gas..... lol might give me a reason to drop my muffler on a rock by "accident" hahaha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information