Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended bump stops

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Extended bump stops

Getting tired of popping off my rear fender flares when wheeling. Going to machine some aluminum bump stop extensions before my next trip.

Wondering who's extended theirs already? How far did you extend them and do you happen to have (or remember) the stock bolt length and thread? I'd like to have the bolts handy so I don't have to run to the store in the middle of working on it.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Getting tired of popping off my rear fender flares when wheeling. Going to machine some aluminum bump stop extensions before my next trip.

Wondering who's extended theirs already? How far did you extend them and do you happen to have (or remember) the stock bolt length and thread? I'd like to have the bolts handy so I don't have to run to the store in the middle of working on it.
    I'm running 2 inch bump stop spacers since I have 33's. If you look on the BDS website at the 2 inch spacer lift, it lists the bolt specs you need. Depending on the size of spacer would depend on the length of that bolt obviously. But it does list the thread pitch and size.

What you need to do is flex the rear end and see if it's even close to hitting the bump stop and then measure from there what size spacer you would need. I have two 1 inch bump stop spacers in my garage.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-15-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Yeah i was planning on measuring and going about 1/2" longer than needed to account for bigger tires in the future & compression of the bump stop. I was thinking i'd have to go about 1.5".

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Hey Matt, its a standard M10 bolt and thread. If you go 1.5" spacer on the bump stop, you will need a m10x75mm bolt. With 3" lifted XK's down here we have been using a 32mm electrical conduit coupler as a spacer (with a 25mm and 20mm inside for strength) which are about 40mm long, and they seem to be a good length.

Although rule of thumb is add length by same amount of lift (inch for inch) but i reckon with the right trimming you can get away with less.
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Awesome thanks!

X2 on what valpacer said. I'm using an m10x75mm long bolt with my two inch bump stop spacers. I think you would be fine with 1.5 inch spacers. Not sure though cause you have the MLL in the rear. Again just flex out the rear and you will know exactly what size you need.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Yeah I'm going for the minimum needed.... stuff the tire as much as possible.

Yeah that's what I did. Unfortunately I had to use a 2 inch spacer and lost a lot of articulation in the rear due to the 33's. I can totally stuff them in the wheel well and they just touch the flare at full stuff. Do you disconnect your rear sway bar? If so that's another reason your hitting the flares. I haven't disconnect the rear in along time and won't be able to until I get a bigger lift.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Do the 2" bump stops completely replace the factory ones or do you stack them? The hole for the M10 bolt is factory and not something I'll have to drill right?

Off to the BDS website...

I disconnect my sway bar. Actually I'm currently not running the sway bar because I bent the links.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
    Do the 2" bump stops completely replace the factory ones or do you stack them? The hole for the M10 bolt is factory and not something I'll have to drill right?

Off to the BDS website...
    The bump stops press into a plate that's bolted to the body. I'm just making a spacer to move that plate down lower and therefore need a longer bolt. Very simple mod. I'm actually making it more complicated just because I have some spare aluminum and access to a lathe/mill/drill machine that's in my buddies garage next to his beer fridge lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information