Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.7L with a 4.7L CAI?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar

Question 3.7L with a 4.7L CAI?

ok well my question is can i put a 4.7L CAI on my 3.7L engine? they seem to be the same exact setup so would it work?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I'm not positive if it would work but why not just buy a cai that's made for the 3.7 liter?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

well on the 3.7L you dont remove the black box that goes to the throttle body and the 4.7L you remove it. and on another forum i read that it restricts alot of air flow and muffles the sound of the intake. so im thinking it might work. any ideas if it would work would it improve my gas mileage and performance?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    My experience with intake systems, "actual" performance gains are minimal (unless you're running WOT all the time while daily driving) and mileage gains are minimal as well (note that if you're looking for a mileage gain, you'll probably see one for the first few tanks).

Removing that sound chamber makes intake and engine sound more notable, which we perceive as "increased" power... lol but the butt dyno is very inaccurate.

Does Airaid make an MIT for the 3.7L? My recommended setup is to do a reusable drop-in air filter and replace the stock intake tube with something like the MIT. Cleans up the engine compartment, improves engine/intake sound, the filter can be cleaned, retain water intrusion protection.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yeah, for $300+, I dont see the return in hp or mileage to be enough.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

thanks matt, ill keep that in mind i guess the main thing im going for is a clean look.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    yeah, for $300+, I dont see the return in hp or mileage to be enough.
    Amazon and eBay are where Ive always got my intakes and never paid $300+.. Although gains are minimal for normal driving, when WOT Ive noticed a huge difference. I do realize these arent cars by any standards hahaha but for someone with a heavy right foot, the intake is a great upgrade to get better performance for an easy install, IMO.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

haha yeah i do tend to have a heavy foot. and i havnt priced any intakes yet, but if there is any improvements that are even just a little bit noticeable would be great.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Go to Amazon, they are having ridiculous deals right now, I got my k&n for $213 shipped!! The gains are minimal, but the XK will feel more "free" is the best way I can describe it. With an exhaust and tune, you will see considerable gains over stock. Im realistic, I know that for the $$$ Im going to gain 50hp, but it improve the performance and mpg slightly.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The heavier your foot, the more you'll notice. Think 5-10 (max) HP gain at peak RPM. The gain dwindles quickly as RPMs decrease (the entire power band is not increased).

But remember.... with that heavy foot comes decreased mpg lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information