Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Texas XK

Junior Member Looking for Dirt Epcommander's Avatar

West Texas XK

Howdy fellers, my name is Bob and I live in the annexed town of El Paso. I drive a 2010 Commander Sport 4x4 that is currently bone stock. I love the truck and am rather pleasantly surprised about my XK's abilities modification free. My jeep is not a mall crawler, I use her for everything, and not let downs yet, just need to pull the fuse for the traction control so I can get my wheel speed up in sand. Looking forward to the interaction here, thanks for having me.

Bob
    2010 XK Sport 4x4
    2" Daystar Spacer Lift (Pending install)
    Robby's Spacers (Pending install)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Welcome aboard!

Just an FYI, if you hold down the ESP Off button for ~10 seconds it'll disable the traction control and work 100x better in sand. Don't have to worry about pulling the fuse out.

Pressing the button isn't enough, you have to hold it in until the message "ESP DISABLED" comes up on the dash.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt Epcommander's Avatar
    Good to know, I live in a largely sandy area, even with the icon saying it is off, it was still activating, weirdly though, it spins freely in mud. This is my first Jeep and my first auto 4x4, so I am still a tiny bit skeptical.
    2010 XK Sport 4x4
    2" Daystar Spacer Lift (Pending install)
    Robby's Spacers (Pending install)

Yeah there's 2 stages. The first stage (pressing button once) only turns off a few controls and is no good for sand. The second stage (pressing and holding the button until the message comes up) turns off the remaining traction control and is much better for off-road / sand use.

The owners manual actually describes both settings pretty well.
    Last week at OBX I was testing out all of the settings in the deepest sand I could find. Its night/day difference when you go to stage 2.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Welcome! On the ESP you'll also here a chime when you hold it long enough.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Welcome! while on the subject of the ESP what do you guys suggest for snow? Im used to the ZJs in the snow do you suggest having that on, party off or completely off?
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Welcome! while on the subject of the ESP what do you guys suggest for snow? Im used to the ZJs in the snow do you suggest having that on, party off or completely off?
    Every situation is different when the computer is holding you back just start shutting it off in stages.

For on-street snow driving I leave it all on. It does a good job of keeping the vehicle in your own lane.

For offroading I only press the button, not fully off. With snow/ice, I've found that cutting the engine power slightly helps more than hurts in most cases. Except for some climbs where you can still dig down with wheel speed.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Thanks for the help on that!!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Andrew...around our area in the snow I just push the traction control button once until you see the vehicle with the squiggly lines on the dash. Nothing else is needed.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information