Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tranny drain and fill question...

Senior Member Getting Dirty

tranny drain and fill question...

so im going to be having both tranny filters replaced and was looking on wkjeeps.com at how much fluid to buy. for the NV545RFE it says 6.5qts or 14qts for an overhaul. what would i get- the 6.5qts and 14? i dont know if this would be considered an overhaul or not.

appreciate the help fellas.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    All you would need is the 6.5 qts or what ever the owners manual calls for. The reason its 14 qts total for a colmplete over haul is because there are 7+ qts of fluid between the torque converter and the internals of the transmission (not including whats in the pan). So basically if your transmission was pulled out of you WK and completely torn apart and rebuilt with a new torque converter you would need 14 qts of fluid to properly fill it. Since you are just dropping the pan and changing the filters you only need the 6.5 qts.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I used a little over 7qts when I did this service. I recommend buying 8 quarts so you're not short when you refill.

as for the fluid in the torque converter, when is that changed? when an overhaul is performed?
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

All of the fluid gets cycled/mixed together.

I normally recommend installing a drain plug and do a follow on drain/fill about 5k miles (or next oil change) after the tranny service. Done at the proper intervals that's more than sufficient to replenish the additives.

Instead of installing drain plugs, I use a vacuum controlled fluid evacutor to suck the fluid out through the dipstick, then refill. Nice and easy.

Lol or you can use my most recent method of having a trans cooler line come off while driving and shoot 4+ quarts of fluid everywhere! Hahaha but I'd recommend not doing that...

Yeah pretty much. When you do a normal service (filter and fluid swap) your really just mixing half new oil with half old oil.

EDIT: Matt beat me to it.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Its kind of a PITA the way our trans cooler lines are run, but another good method is to disconnect the hoses at the cooler, connect extension hoses, fill a bucket with New fluid to get sucked in through the return hose and an empty bucket to catch the used fluid on its way to the trans cooler.

ive been draining and filling my tranny every 15k since 60k, so within the last 30k its had its fluid changed a couple times. lol so there isnt that much old fluid in there.

matt- i like your idea on disconnecting the cooler lines.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    ive been draining and filling my tranny every 15k since 60k, so within the last 30k its had its fluid changed a couple times. lol so there isnt that much old fluid in there.

matt- i like your idea on disconnecting the cooler lines.

Is there a reason why you have been doing it every 15K. Both of my brothers work at transmission shops and say thats not good to do. Something to do with the detergent in the fluid messes up the clutches in the transmission??? I think thats what they said. They always told me if I have a high mileage vehicle (150,000+ miles) to just leave the old transmission fluid in it and dont flush it.

Its not bad to change the fluid frequently as long as its done within the recommended time frame.

If you have an older vehicle that has never had the fluid changed then what happens is the additives break down as well as the trans clutch friction materials wear off due to the lack of functional additives. The friction material becomes suspended in the fluid and almost acts as a friction promoter for the worn clutches. So when you change the fluid in this case, you remove all the clutch material and the new fluid cleans off the worn clutches.... and usually this combination results in a slipping trans.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information