Thread: tranny drain and fill question...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I know I'm going to catch a bunch of smart a** remarks but every other trans service for me I have the Jeep dealer flush it. I get all the old out well, we all know how it works. Just something I've always done and yes I know Chrysler doesn't recommend it I've read all the posts. All my vehicles last a long time and are in great working order when sold or traded in so pretty much if the system I use aint broke I'm leaving it alone ahahahahha let the flaming begin!

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I know I'm going to catch a bunch of smart a** remarks but every other trans service for me I have the Jeep dealer flush it. I get all the old out well, we all know how it works. Just something I've always done and yes I know Chrysler doesn't recommend it I've read all the posts. All my vehicles last a long time and are in great working order when sold or traded in so pretty much if the system I use aint broke I'm leaving it alone ahahahahha let the flaming begin!

I think the whole issue starts with when you take ownership of the vehicle. If you've owned it since [nearly] new, then you can do fluid changes once a month if you like and always have a great running trans. I think it gets trick when you buy a higher mileage vehicle, and you don't know the service history. That's when you can get into a situation like Matt described. Also, for a trans flush, I think the machine pumps the fluid in the opposite direction of the normal trans pump. It's not recommended by Chrysler because that would mean the fluid is backing out of the filters sending those particles back into the trans. Other vehicles don't use filters, but screens instead. Supposedly, trans flushes are OK with those types. Then again, I'm no transmission mechanic. This is just what I've heard/read/made sense.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Thread Information