Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tranny drain and fill question...

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Here is a thread on installing a drain plug / sending unit on the transmission if anyone needs it.

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...pan?highlight=
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I know I'm going to catch a bunch of smart a** remarks but every other trans service for me I have the Jeep dealer flush it. I get all the old out well, we all know how it works. Just something I've always done and yes I know Chrysler doesn't recommend it I've read all the posts. All my vehicles last a long time and are in great working order when sold or traded in so pretty much if the system I use aint broke I'm leaving it alone ahahahahha let the flaming begin!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I bet their trans "flush" is really just a fluid transfer like I described with the buckets.... except its a machine that does the pumping instead of the trans. No big deal with that.

I think Chrysler recommends staying away from flushes the push a cleaning solution through....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I bet their trans "flush" is really just a fluid transfer like I described with the buckets.... except its a machine that does the pumping instead of the trans. No big deal with that.

I think Chrysler recommends staying away from flushes the push a cleaning solution through....
    ya that's what I get its just a fluid exchanged no cleaners just catching the old and replacing with new. The one down side is the filters don't get changed but I keep it on schedule so the fluid should be clean and there shouldn't be anything in there anyway to clog the filters at least I hope not LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    The reason i drain and fill every 15k is it was a recommendation from the guy that does most of the work on my jeep-'his been a jeep tech for years now. He said if I wanted my tranny to last, drain and fill every 15k. His wife drives a WK with 150k on it and he does the same and no problems there. He's been dealing with my jeeps for years now and I trust him. I'm coming up on 90k so I'll be doing both filters and a drain a flush.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I know I'm going to catch a bunch of smart a** remarks but every other trans service for me I have the Jeep dealer flush it. I get all the old out well, we all know how it works. Just something I've always done and yes I know Chrysler doesn't recommend it I've read all the posts. All my vehicles last a long time and are in great working order when sold or traded in so pretty much if the system I use aint broke I'm leaving it alone ahahahahha let the flaming begin!

I think the whole issue starts with when you take ownership of the vehicle. If you've owned it since [nearly] new, then you can do fluid changes once a month if you like and always have a great running trans. I think it gets trick when you buy a higher mileage vehicle, and you don't know the service history. That's when you can get into a situation like Matt described. Also, for a trans flush, I think the machine pumps the fluid in the opposite direction of the normal trans pump. It's not recommended by Chrysler because that would mean the fluid is backing out of the filters sending those particles back into the trans. Other vehicles don't use filters, but screens instead. Supposedly, trans flushes are OK with those types. Then again, I'm no transmission mechanic. This is just what I've heard/read/made sense.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Member Looking for Dirt madrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    All of the fluid gets cycled/mixed together.

I normally recommend installing a drain plug and do a follow on drain/fill about 5k miles (or next oil change) after the tranny service. Done at the proper intervals that's more than sufficient to replenish the additives.

Instead of installing drain plugs, I use a vacuum controlled fluid evacutor to suck the fluid out through the dipstick, then refill. Nice and easy.

Lol or you can use my most recent method of having a trans cooler line come off while driving and shoot 4+ quarts of fluid everywhere! Hahaha but I'd recommend not doing that...
    Is there a fluid evacutor that is recommended?

I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MITMV7...evacuator+pump
    Last edited by madrock; 07-26-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That one will work.
    I use the Mityvac MV7201 since I can reverse flow. Comes in handy for filling tcase, diffs etc.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    just for future reference for everyone.. per matts advice, ordered from wholesale-mopar and saved myself roughly $20-$25, thats with all parts/fluids shipped. still saved myself money.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Synthetic Advantage's Avatar
    Matt pretty much hit it on the head. Installing a drain plug and then doing fluid drains every 30k with regular ATF is a great way to keep the transmission in great shape with good fluid. You can extend that drain to 50k at a time switching over to synthetic ATF.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information