Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Deal- Rear Shocks for 2" lifts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

The Real Deal- Rear Shocks for 2" lifts

There are a lot of good shocks out there that will work great on our WK/XK's, but they're not listed in application guides. I put this together to help members select shocks beyond the very few "off the shelf" selections that are available.

Here's what i've gathered based off my own experience and/or research"

Length:
    Fully extended length of 27.5 is ideal. Anything significantly longer will require brake line extensions (or modify the mount which is pretty easy). Anything shorter and you're sacrificing articulation for no good reason.
    Fully compressed length of 17" is OK, as long as you install 2" bump stop extensions since stock compressed length is 15".
    -->Click here to jump to Brake Line Extension thread<--
    -->Click here to jump to Bump Stop Extension thread<--

Bilstein Valving:
    170/60-180/75 I've seen this range used and people say they like the ride. I personally think this is too soft for the weight of our vehicles BUT might be good for a smoother on-road ride if you're basically using it as a modified DD.
    255/70 Seems to be the ideal valving for these vehicles based on weight/spring rates. You should have a good on road ride and improved offroad performance.
    275/78 This may be best suited for the weight of a V8 loaded XK with heavy springs (OME HD) that's offroad often; will help maintain clearance when coming off the rocks while wheeling.

FOX Valving
    Fox uses a different valving system thats a percentage of available damping for compression/rebound. So a 40/60 setup (which i believe is their "standard" if you order pre-built shocks) is 40% available compression and 60% available rebound. There aren't a lot of WK/XK members running these shocks so I'll list the members and what they're running for now:

Omelet- 30/60 (originally 30/90)
    TrialByFire- 30/60
    06JeepXKHEMI - 30/90
    Matt - 40/80

I've created a spreadsheet to keep track of shocks I've acquired the p/n's and specs for-
    which can be downloaded -->by clicking here here<--

I'll continually update that spreadsheet as I get more information. And if anyone has ANY questions, post up!

Update

Members running shocks from spreadsheet:
    1) 06JeepXKHEMI
    P/N 980-02-038-A
    FOX 2.0 Emulsion shocks from JBA.
    Click here for more info

2) Matt
    P/N 980-02-039 with 815-00-036
    Fox 2.0 Emulsion Remote Resi shocks with CD adjuster
    Click here for more info

3) Core-XK
    P/N RS999286
    Rancho 9000XL adjustable rear shocks.
    Click here for more info
    Last edited by Matt; 05-30-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I like my OME rear shocks and they are not that expensive.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

The OME's too short for me, and im looking for a shock I can adjust the pressure on and adjust the valving if I decide to. There's quite a few standard mono-tube shocks that'll work well and that are within the OME price range, but I've got to the point with my XK where there's not much left to adjust.... so im going to focus on optimizing performance where I can; rear shocks is next up (within reason of course, I'm not looking at some $400/ea shocks). Hopefully in the mean-time more front strut options will become available.

Edit: my spreadsheet includes the OME p/n as well as some monotube options such as bilstein 5150 and Rancho RS7000 which area all higher end "budget" shocks like the OME.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.

To short?? Hmmm I noticed that they are long enough for the rear coil to become loose when the rear is flexed out with the JKS quicker disconnects still connected.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

As long as the coil isn't in danger of falling out, it's not a big deal if it becomes loose. 27.5" (the length of the MLL's a lot of us are running, even without sway bars) also has the coil come loose, but not too far. At >27.5" the brake lines for the calipers turn into the limiting factor.

Yeah I know it's not a big deal for it to come loose but a shock any longer than the OME and the coil will fall right out. If I were to disconnect the rear I'm sure it would fall out

There's no possible way my OME coils would fall out with my 27.5" long shocks and sway bar disconnected. I've had it fully flexed out many times. I'll show you on Sunday (And its not an issue for Sal with stock coils on the RC lift)

Have you measured the actual length of the OME rear shocks? Wonder if their posted specs are wrong and they're actually ~27+ as well

Edit: As a matter of fact, when I just did my extended bump stops last week, I could not have gotten the springs back in without the shocks disconnected and still struggling a bit (more so on the driver side). I have my gas tank skid trimmed to the point where the lower radius arm will hit the actual tank, so that side will drop as far as physically possible without the shock attached.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.

I didn't mean to say fall right out. I meant loose enough to break the spring seat and just kind of sitting there

Oh, yeah that'll happen. But there's no issue with that because our rear springs dont have a specific rotational orientation that they need to "sit" in. They'll re-seat once the suspension comes back down. There's technically no difference between 1/8" of clearance and 1" of clearance as long as they're retained.

This picture was taken with my rear shocks still attached. I pulled down the upper isolator to measure the bump stop mount:

This picture is with the rear extended about 2" beyond where my 27.5" shocks will let the axle extend to. At this point, I would definitly be concerned with the spring coming out!

also remember, when I make you those 1/2" spacers that'll take up any space you see now at full extension. I'm planning on running 1" spacers which will take up almost all of that extra space shown in the first pic I posted.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information