Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Real Deal- Rear Shocks for 2" lifts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    FINALLY!!!! Too bad i have to leave in an hour to study for an exam tomorrow... and tomorrow night im riding... so they won't go on until Thursday.

Measure just over 28" eye-to-eye

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Nice!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nice
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Boy, it's gonna take a lotta napkins to mop up your drool...!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stites-xk View Post
    Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Nice
    >>>>>>> Ditto <<<<<<<<
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lol "drool"...... yeah thats what that is.... definitely drool and not anything else :shiftyeyes:

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Lol "drool"...... yeah thats what that is.... definitely drool and not anything else :shiftyeyes:

WOW lol
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Ok guys, got some miles on them and here's my initial comparison. Note i've been riding on some Bilstein 5125s for the past few months and haven't liked them at all. Ride quality is relative, so i'll compare my likes/dislikes to the 5125s so others have a reference point. Note that the valving specs are not in the same units and we don't have info for how convert.

5125 specs: 33-185555 = 255/70 valving
    Fox 2.0 specs: 40/80 valving (%) with CD adjuster set to 1 (softest setting)

Rebound:
    This has been my biggest complaint with the 5125 and Fox tech support hit it perfectly with their 80% rebound valving. The rebound on the Bilsteins was lacking and the rear of the XK would overshoot on bumps. Slow bumps would feel like the rear was taking off like a rocket ship and faster bumps felt like someone was pushing upwards with a jackhammer. In the end I think the OME HD springs were just overpowering the rebound damping.

The rebound of the Fox's is spot on. On slow bumps its doesn't overshoot, and fast bumps the vehicle stays much more steady.

Compression:
    [Keeping in mind that I have the CD adjuster on the softest setting] Currently the compression damping is a bit on the soft side. Good/Comfy for daily driving, but if I'm going to keep the compression this soft I'll want to reinstall my rear sway bar. I'm going to leave it like this for a week and then crank up the CD adjuster to its firmest setting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it makes a big difference, otherwise I'll have to eat my foot and consent that I made a mistake from straying from Fox's 60% recommendation. I got nervous when I saw JBA's coming with 30% compression settings....

I'm not sure how the CD adjuster affects the compression for non-adjustable shocks. In other words, im not sure which setting is "nominal" and would make the 40/80 valved adjustable shock feel like a standard 2.0 shock valved to 40/80; i'm guessing it'll be mid range though.

So my personal recommendation right now, if someone was ordering non-adjustable 2.0 shocks for a OME HD lifted Hemi XK with a bunch of skids; I'd steer towards the 60/80 for wheeling in rocks. That may change as I start playing around with the CD adjuster though.

Had some good playing around with these shocks over the past week or so. Last weekend I had to put my friends boat in the water as well has his cousins. The smaller of the two boats is around 7500 lbs (total w/trailer) and the larger one is right around 8000 lbs. Although both were extremely short drives, I cranked the shocks up to their max setting. It's significantly stiffer so im pleased with that. They did fine towing the boats too but I left them at the setting for the remainder of the day. The roads between our houses are horrible and let me tell ya, they were too stiff IMO for daily driving on that setting.

I then reduced them to the #5 (out of 8) setting for Sunday when I had to drive across NJ to help my buddy move. MUCH better! Still a bit on the stiff side, but I liked it.

I've since settled on the #4 setting which I think is perfect for my butt-preference. I still may end up putting my rear sway bar back on, but its nowhere near as soft or rolls as much on turns as it did with the #1 setting.

End result... VERY HAPPY
    Can't wait to get them offroad. As long as they perform well there, i can rest easy with my 40/80 valving decision and not have foot in mouth syndrome.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Great information...are you running without a sway bar in the front and rear? How is the sway?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information