Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Real Deal- Rear Shocks for 2" lifts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Front still on. Took the rear off when I destroyed the links offroad. With the OME HD springs and the right shocks, the sways not bad at all. With my monroe load levelers there was practically not change in sway, with the 5125s it was minimal, and with the FOX shocks its as reported (too much at the 1 setting, but good at 5+).

The front bars take the majority of the load. Though I've been thinking of putting the back one on again regardless because I think taking the rear off transfers stress to the front.

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I kind of want to take mine off just to see if the right is better but never have. Could I disconnect the links and just hang the sway bar up temporarily? Would taking the rear sway bar of cause too much understeer in an emergency and vise versa for the front with oversteer?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    I kind of want to take mine off just to see if the right is better but never have. Could I disconnect the links and just hang the sway bar up temporarily? Would taking the rear sway bar of cause too much understeer in an emergency and vise versa for the front with oversteer?
    That's going to vary greatly based on springs, ride height, vehicle weight, shocks setup, track width, etc.

I was hesitant taking my rear off.... and only did because I had no choice while wheeling. I've taken the rear off other vehicles before and the sway was bad enough to where I didn't feel safe taking an off-ramp over 40 mph. BUT, with my XK the way it is setup, I didn't notice a difference and have given it a bit of extra throttle on sharp turns just to test the limits.

Moral is- it all depends on what setup you're running. Having the sway bars on is ALWAYS better than having them off. But with the right setup, the difference of taking the rear off may be minimal. It only takes 5 minutes to disconnect the rear and give it a shot.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I have about 6" of lift in the rear and have been disconnected for about a month and no major difference I just go slower when turning!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Good info guys, thanks. I'm going to try this next weekend but will most likely just throw it back on.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Removed the rear sway bar and got some flex shots..

Big difference from having the sway bar on and ride isn't to different.. Now I really want to go wheeling and see what these rear shocks are like...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

You probably have another inch or two of travel left there... not even working those shocks in that pic!

I'm looking at bringing my son to RC at the end of July. It'll probably be a easy going wheeling day for me depending on how he's doing. And pretty sure Mark wants to test out his new superlift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Now I'm having a lot harder time keeping it for sale or at least wheeling her one last time. But I don't think it's a good idea if I'm keeping it for sale and I'll be putting the sway bar back on before sale goes, just couldn't stand the noise the end links were making and wanted to see how these shocks flexed...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm looking at bringing my son to RC at the end of July. It'll probably be a easy going wheeling day for me depending on how he's doing. And pretty sure Mark wants to test out his new superlift
    Yep....
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Just a quick update... I've had these offroad a few times now and am extremely happy. I think the valving is perfect; run them on setting 3 or 4 for on-road daily driving and crank them up to 8 offroad.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information