Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been discriminated against!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

I've been discriminated against!

Never thought I would see the day this happen but it did. For those of you that don't know I was medically discharged from the army after 9 years of service as a infantryman in the 82nd Airborne division. My original plans were going to school but I changed my mind and decided to drive a truck for a living now. So I've been in CDL school this was my first week of a four week program. Anyway I have a prehire already with a decent company but I came across this military friendly company at least it said so on there site anyway. They are also one of the companies that recruit from my school.

Anyway I filled out the app and they ask me to write what line 28 says on my DD214 (summary of my service for non military guys) Well of course it says disability in that line. So no problem I put it in thinking nothing of it my injury meant no more infantry for me but I'm still in better shape then most LOL. Now keep in mind I'm not thinking anything of it at the time my credit,driving and criminal history are clean and they have pledged to hire 500 veterans by next year. Besides there taking people with traffic tickets and yes old criminal history but still they have a history so no big deal and the guy is telling me great awesome looks good. There also hiring just about anyone that applied who's traffic and criminal history didn't DQ them.

So I call back today like I was told and the recruiter pulls my name up and says nope they denied me there is nothing he can do for me and pretty much hangs up. Ok what ever dude I'm thinking and I blow it off. But the wife won't let it go she was pissed I told her who cares there loss man I'm a hard dedicated worker someone else will benefit from hiring me. But she won't let it go and kept asking I wonder why and blah blah. Well so were talking and I mentioned nothing I faxed him my medical records yesterday like he asked for and today its a no hold the phone. You did what she said LOL i repeated what did I do I'm thinking. Well, I guess and now I know that The american disability act says no company can ask me about my disability which they did and they can't ask me for my records which they did all they can do is ask me if I am capable of doing the work I'm applying for which they did not which I can by the way LOL. So I've experienced my first discrimination I know its nothing like the old timers did coming from other wars like in the 70's mad respect for those guys that was a rough time. But still I was denied and thrown aside for my injury I received in serving my country so it just sucks. I'm filling out the forms now to file a complaint with the EEOC and going to see if I can find away to file one with the VA as well. I won't work for these people now anyway but what they did is wrong and I know other vets in my class that have injuries want to work there as well and there not going to get in which there probably better off but I'm not letting them get away with it.

Sorry for the long winded post here just venting because you don't here about this on the news and I have a feeling this is happening a lot but its not getting reported.

Member Looking for Dirt CT-riverrat's Avatar
    Definitely contact the VA, they might want to make an example of that rotten lousy company. Just for haha's did you check with USPS? I worked for the post office since I was discharged,(many, many, years ago). They are frequently looking for drivers. Like moving mail from airport to local plant etc.
    07 5.7L, loaded, QDII, RR 2.25lift, Spider trax 1.5", Weston bull bar

Quote Originally Posted by CT-riverrat View Post
    Definitely contact the VA, they might want to make an example of that rotten lousy company. Just for haha's did you check with USPS? I worked for the post office since I was discharged,(many, many, years ago). They are frequently looking for drivers. Like moving mail from airport to local plant etc.
    No I never did actually didn't think about them with all the budget problems there having and such. But ya it's a piece a crap company bragging on military friendly and pulling that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Thanks AJ I agree and I've already downloaded the forum and will fax it in Monday.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    My entire family is pretty much in or has been in the military or law enforcement, and I completely agree with you not letting it go and seeing if a complaint w/ the EEOC Disability Discrimination will bring any spotlight on that company. I hope you find a better company to work for.

I know this sounds really weird but as a child I wanted to be a truck driver (18 wheelers).....I think that is different than most childhood dreams? LOL
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    their loss man I'm a hard dedicated worker someone else will benefit from hiring me.
    Couldnt have said it any better

Just an update on this I filed a complaint with the EEOC today I don't expect much to come of it. There was another disabled vet in my class he also just found out he was passed up for a job at this place.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    At least you did what you could do.... better than sitting back and doing nothing.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    At least you did what you could do.... better than sitting back and doing nothing.
    I call that a "break". LOL..

Sal, F' them bro.....keep your head up and don't let this kind of crap bother you. Hopefully your complaint will not go unheard.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    I call that a "break". LOL..

Sal, F' them bro.....keep your head up and don't let this kind of crap bother you. Hopefully your complaint will not go unheard.
    Ya bro I'm not worried about them man. They were my second choice and right now after some research I'm glad they didn't hire me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information