Thread: Need everyones expertise.

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Synthetic Advantage's Avatar

Question Need everyones expertise.

OK I know this isn't a JK forum but I have been interested in getting a 4 door and putting a lift and 35's on it for some mild trail riding. Since we are somewhat close to Uwharrie NP it would be cool to go there on the weekends and do some trail riding. We have a daughter with special needs and we think she would have a blast riding the trails and camping as well.

My question is out of all the places to get lift kits from and wheel and tires, what are the better more respectable ones to purchase from?

Also what reading I have done it is a toss up as to getting one that has an automatic transmission over the standard for easier control, makes sense what are your thoughts?

I would guess it would be best to get a Rubicon since it would already have the better axle setups, or would it be better to find a stripped model and built it accordingly? I would think the cost would be a little higher to build but the quality would be better, correct?

I know before the new engine came out the power was not that great. Is there mods to the older power plants that could really help, or is there no help for them at all.

The only way I can get a JK is if I sell my 65 impala SS. The wife pretty much made that clear. I understand as well since we don't make the $$ to be able to have both. The JK would get used more. The impala sits in the garage more than getting used since I'm concerned on damage if we went some where with it due to others carelessness. Not to mention the insurance I have on it limits me as to when and how I can drive it. We also live so far away, an hour drive to most cities close that have cruise-in's that it makes it a pain to enjoy them.

If I had a son I wouldn't even consider this, but with twin girls and neither having any interest in automobiles, unless down the road I happen to get a son-in-law that is a motor head and could appreciate the impala, it would not get the care and love it deserves. LOL

So what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Nick ill hook you up with a wheel & tire guy who's local to ya and will probably even take you wheeling a Uwharrie.

I'm at Rausch now for the weekend and will Hey to the rest when I get back.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Advantage View Post
    My question is out of all the places to get lift kits from and wheel and tires, what are the better more respectable ones to purchase from?
    Once you find the products you want let me know and I will see if I can get you a better price, parts for a JK should be all over the place.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Poison spider makes some nice stuff for sure teraflex or evo make some nice lifts. And yes just get the ruby upgraded axles and 4:1 crawl gear no brainier. Trans is a personal choice

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Gah - there are so many good lifts for the JK's. Rancho, Superlift, Teraflex, Skyjacker, ARB/OME, Rock Krawler - they all have great products. Tire choice is, for the most part, preferential. But that kind of decision really depends on how often you plan on making trips to Uwharrie. You have the luxury of some pretty reputable installers and/or distributors here in NC as well. This includes 4wheelparts store in Raleigh, Down East Offroad (DEO) in Wilson (i'd recommend these guys), and I think there is a place that Sal would recommend over in his neck of the woods by Fayetteville. Good luck! Hopefully I'll be joining you in the JK ranks sometime next year.

Supporting Vendor Looking for Dirt Synthetic Advantage's Avatar
    Sounds good everyone, thanks!

Unless it requires major modification I pretty much can tackle a lift here at the house. I'm lucky to have a garage and a good supply of tools and a welder, mig and gas.

The big thing is selling the impala and getting out of it what I feel it is worth, not really over pricing it but to be fare in that if one tried to build it then it would cost them the same if not more now that it has been a few years since I got it complete. With this economy it doesn't look good but then you never know.

I'm familiar with DEO, Wilson is only a 45 miles from me right up 795. There is a place in Jacksonville that does some serious hard core vehicle lift work that I can talk to as well.

Thanks again.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Wilson is a good shop I inspected there work once and there welds were spot on man. Get ugly is not far from them and have lift specials for $1k but I know nothing about there work. You will never get what you think your car is worth bro emotions and reality never line up. Good luck I know we're not that far apart and I know lots of people around here so if you need anything just drop me a pm.

Thread Information