Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bump stop for OME lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I wouldn't mess with the internal bump stops. A lot of us wheel the hell out of our rigs with the OME setup and upwards travel of the suspension has not caused issues like seen in the rear. Our front suspension already has minimal travel, I see no reason to constrain it any further.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wouldn't mess with the internal bump stops. A lot of us wheel the hell out of our rigs with the OME setup and upwards travel of the suspension has not caused issues like seen in the rear. Our front suspension already has minimal travel, I see no reason to constrain it any further.
    I keep hearing this limited travel of the OME lift in the front, It makes me wonder why so many swear it's a better lift 2" lift. Would I be better off replacing my worn out struts, and staying with stock springs and RC spacers? Why is the OME a better front lift?
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

The shocks/springs are better for offroading. It has nothing to do with travel.... did you ever take those measurements to see how much down travel you have with the spacer lift?

I upgraded to OME because my stock springs were sagging really bad with the added weight from skids/equipment. Also the stock shocks noticeable allow the body to drop lower when going off obstacles which decreases the effective belly clearance. I think for on-road ride quality the stock shocks are slightly underdamped whereas for off-road performance you want slightly overdamped.

Note that the OME wont let you go places that a 2" spacer lift can't go. You wont see that kind of performance difference. A 1 for 1 comparison between two evenly built vehicles except for OME vs Spacer, the spacer lifted vehicle will bounce around more and smack skid plates on rocks more.

If there's a lot of armor/accessories involved, the stock springs will sag more as well, decreasing clearance even more.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Note that the OME wont let you go places that a 2" spacer lift can't go. You wont see that kind of performance difference. A 1 for 1 comparison between two evenly built vehicles except for OME vs Spacer, the spacer lifted vehicle will bounce around more and smack skid plates on rocks more.

If there's a lot of armor/accessories involved, the stock springs will sag more as well, decreasing clearance even more.
    Matt, I haven't had a chance to measure downward travel yet, but will see if I can this weekend. The differences in spring rate and strut valving makes sense for offroad and that's the primary reason I was thinking about upgrading when replacing my struts, plus I got the coils at a great price.

Are you using the 1/4" spacer with the OME? Or have you found the coils themselves lift enough?
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

I'm running the 1/4" spacer for that extra bit of height.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    An XK with OME will be the same off road if not better than a spacer lift. Just get the OME kit, get two inch performance accessories lift spacers for the rear bump stops and call it a day. Add a rusty rear adjustable track bar to the list if you can afford an extra $150
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I here ya'll, I'm heading the OME way, I have the OME rear HD coils coming, I have 2" body spacers for extending the rear bump stops and the RRO track bar.
    Last edited by cmdr jim; 09-28-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information