Thread: My Commander's Communications Suite

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

My Commander's Communications Suite

I’m currently running a Cobra 75WXST CB , M/A Com 700/800 MHz , Yaesu FT-7900R multi band Ham , and a “portable” ( think cigarette lighter plug, integrated speaker and magnetic antenna mount) VHF radio . Trying to find a place to mount them all was not easy, as a lot of you already know.
    There is a small place under the glove box that I was able to use for wiring on top of the panel and then under the panel mount a radio and amplifier. The CB antenna coax connector went just to the left of the glove box.

……......Almost done.......

…….The other side…

………My CB coax cable antenna hook up....

……....Buttoned up…....

As a passenger sitting in the seat, you cannot see the face of the amp and their feet do not get close to hitting them.

Last edited by 1USMC; 04-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.

…...........700/800 MHz glass mount antenna….....

…....Magnetic mount VHF antenna, when needed….

To see how I mounted my CB and Ham antennas, click link below to my Steel Armadillo Bumper Mods.

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...r-and-my-Mod-s
    Last edited by 1USMC; 08-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Now I needed to find a place to mount my speakers. I had just picked up a pair of new MLS-100’s and would use my old M/A Com speaker. I decided to mount them on my “B” posts. Two would be on the driver’s side so I could hear them easier.. …Hugh ? What did you say ??? ( been around jet noise way to long !).
    I installed the other one on the passenger side.

I found a screw behind the small panel towards the top of the pillar.

I used a magnetized screw driver and very carefully removed the screw ( I put a small piece of tape on them when I re-installed them). If it drops behind the panel, you end up pulling a lot more and leaning how other things are mounted that you really didn’t want to know or care about. Or so I’ve heard!! Ya..

I pulled the rubber trim off and gently pulled the plastic molding out. I marked my holes for the speaker mounts and used SS bolts and lock washers, to attach them.

I trimmed a few of the plastic “fins” on the inside of the panel to make it easier to route the speaker wire.

……..rubber trim piece reinstalled…

Last edited by 1USMC; 08-18-2012 at 11:22 PM.

I was happy that the speakers do not interfere with anyone entering or exiting the back seat. I don’t normally have anyone in the back as all my gear is behind the front seats, but it was nice to note.

…………The other side…….

The mic’s where much easier to install !!

I did find there is one disadvantage of having plenty of communications capability..

OK ….who said what ??? ….on what Radio?????

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-11-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    WOW! You're ready to stomp a tornado a new mudhole, if you decide to take up storm-chasing in it!!!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    That's a heck of a set-up. Too much for me though, I already too many voices.
    2008 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 4x4, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Bilstein Struts, Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Leveler Shocks, Rusty's Adjustable Track Bar, K&N CAI 63, Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad Muffler, Bull bar w/ driving lights.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    holy crap that is quite the set up - I would probably run someone over at a crosswalk if I had all that going on near the windshield.

Sweet though!
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    That is nice way to much going on but really nice set up
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    holy crap that is quite the set up - I would probably run someone over at a crosswalk if I had all that going on near the windshield.

Sweet though!
    Its not quite that bad. Honest !!

If I'm on the road, the portable radios are clipped to a multi pocket bag ( shown below ) that is strapped to the passenger seat. The only iteams above the dash are my flexable reading light, wireless remote for my spot light, Ham remote head and a pressure indicator ( out of view ) for my OBA.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1USMC View Post

My '92 Dodge Ramcharger restoration project is "ON" again - I want the dash in IT, to look like this!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Thread Information