Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.73s in a QTl

Member Looking for Dirt T1RKaZz's Avatar

3.73s in a QTl

I got a few questions and I believe you gentlemen are intelligent enough to have my answers. We got a small population compared to other Jeep forums but we lack the dumbasses so it works for the best. First, I know you can grab a front axel off a 4.7 or 5.7 but do the axels have a difference between the QTl, QTll, and QDll or is it all t-case? My second question is if I were to try this would the hypertech be enough to reprogram or would I need to go to the stealer?

Edit: On another forum I belive I have read of this being done to a WK I'm not sure who's or if they go into this issue I can't find it right now.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by T1RKaZz; 08-23-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    QTI and QTII have the same axles, but QTII has the same tcase as QDII.

There are a few people who have swapped 3.73s into their QTIs.... I'm pretty sure Adam (07JeepXK) put a set in his friends WK.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I was the one that did the 3.73 swap on my buddy's 05 3.7 liter Grand Cherokee WK. You need to get a front differential out of a 4.7 liter with 3.73's and QT II. You will still use your stock cv axles. As for the rear we used Motive gear 3.73's for a chrysler 8.25 axle. The dealer can't do the reprogramming, but the Hypertech speedometer calibrator will be able to reprogram for the gear change. It's an easy sway if your familiar with setting up gears on a 8.25 rear axle. You will still use your original transfer case. No issues with his Jeep since the install.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt T1RKaZz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I was the one that did the 3.73 swap on my buddy's 05 3.7 liter Grand Cherokee WK. You need to get a front differential out of a 4.7 liter with 3.73's and QT II. You will still use your stock cv axles. As for the rear we used Motive gear 3.73's for a chrysler 8.25 axle. The dealer can't do the reprogramming, but the Hypertech speedometer calibrator will be able to reprogram for the gear change. It's an easy sway if your familiar with setting up gears on a 8.25 rear axle. You will still use your original transfer case. No issues with his Jeep since the install.
    I have an 08 the ecu won't have any conflicts or anything. I believe there were small changes to the 08 from the previous models but I'm not sure what they are. I don't think the base models changed that much.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

As long as you use the hypertech speedometer calibrator for the gear ratio change you will be fine. You can even upgrade it to the Max Energy Power programmer and tune your Jeep
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I think the OP may be right.... isn't there a model year that the programmers don't support for 3.7s? Though I thought it was an issue with 2005 WKs.... but you used it for that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think the OP may be right.... isn't there a model year that the programmers don't support for 3.7s? Though I thought it was an issue with 2005 WKs.... but you used it for that already.
    That programmer worked fine for Jay's 05 WK. Hypertech lists the same programmer for 2008 so I dont see why it wouldnt work.

There was a year they made some changes to the ECM and it resulted in errors when people tried programming their vehicles. IIRC it only affected 1 model year and superchips/hypertech (I forgot which one) said they didn't have plans to update it to work. Ill have to do some searching later during lunch to see if I can dig that stuff up.

Called my buddy Tim... it was an issue with 2006 model years and the Hypertech speedometer calibrator. So he should be good with his 2008.

Easy way to find out. Before ordering the gears and front differential, get the Hypertech programmer. Try to program the vehicle and if it works, purchase the gears and front diff. If not send it back, get your money back and live with the fact that your stuck with 3.07 gears..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information