Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small front installation problem

Member Looking for Dirt

small front installation problem

I just realized that the mounting kit in fact DOES NOT have a lower spring isolator. I went to the Monroe website and it reads as if it does, so I called them. They said it states "or" so it does not come with it. The shop already installed one and they sd it sits tight and steady and probably is not needed. They dont think any noise or vibration will come from there without it, even though it is metal to metal. They said most struts and springs are installed this way. Of course they are just a shop and are not enthusiasts as we are. My question is: HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE THE LOWER SPRING ISOLATOR? Should I have them stop and locate some immediately before they continue? Or, find some later and have them put them on later?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You need that isolator in there.....you'll ruin the strut without it (wont take long for rust/corrosion to eat away at the perch especially with the spring rubbing away the material)

Worst case, take them out of your stock struts.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    they are pretty important they act as a seat to the coil, Im a perfectionist and wouldnt want it done half a$$, Id go grab some and have them install correctly
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Another thought, you'll also have less preload on the spring And therefore less lift without the isolators installed.

Member Looking for Dirt
    ok, the problem is the originals are gone cuz they were replaced by the Daystar isolators. I will have to go to the dealer immediately and get ripped off.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Call around to the local parts stores, may get lucky
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Wow that suck man. Yes you definitely need both upper and and lower isolators. Im surprised that they even installed them without it!! I wish I would have seen your prior post. I could have told you it didnt come with the lower when you purchased the mounting kit.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

The shop *should* have contacts at local dealerships for parts. Dealerships normally run a mid-day parts delivery so see if the shop can get them first to save you the trouble.

Member Looking for Dirt
    two local dealers sd it would be working days before they can get them in. i am just going to order them from quadratec where they are the same dealer part, but much cheaper. i just had them finish the mount so i can get out. the shop sd they would re-do the job for half price, which is $90. that F sucks! the shop sd most struts do not have isolators so it wasnt a red flag for them. i looked at two cars, two suvs, and three trucks in their parking lot and all of them were direct metal to metal, spring to strut installed. either way, im really upset with monroe, cuz it clearly states that both isolators are included.
    http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPar...dStatus=ACTIVE

however, the XK looks great. it definitely raised the front pretty good. feels great on the road so far. waiting at firestone now for an alignment, thank god for the lifetime alignment purchase made many years ago. i guess they will have to re-do the alignment again once the isolators are put in. what a mess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information