Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch "One Car Too Far"?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I think the show is interesting but the "actors" are really annoying which makes me not care about watching lok

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Core XK View Post
    I think the show is interesting but the "actors" are really annoying which makes me not care about watching lok
    Im in the same boat dude
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    Thoughts AJ? I've seen reviews from Awesome to Meh.
    I thought it was decent. I'm no critic but i'm particularly critical of Jeep shows. But I can put on 'two hats'.

I can take the show at face value for what it is, entertainment, and pretty much enjoy the show looking from the outside in.

But on the other hand, knowing the challenges associated with trips like this, I can look from the outside in. One of the main problems I have with shows like this is that it will always attract the intermediate-novice Jeepers. A truely experienced Jeeper traversing these distances ob obstacles knows the weak points of his/her vehicle. Consequently, they know what spares/back ups to bring, and the tools to get the job done. So, when something breaks down and the 'actors' are like "oh crap", and the show picks up 'suspense' - in the back of my mind, i'm just thinking... "ur stupid for not bringing 'x' and 'y' with you.

Although not a show, I really like some of the videos up on project-jk because they go through hell, crap breaks, and they fix it on-site. They are expecting things like this. Servicing or repairing drive shafts, pinions, and gears in the middle of nowhere... stuff like that gets me all hot and bothered because that's the kind of itemization and use of talent that I LIKE to see.

Depending on what you watch and what 'level' you are at in your Jeep abilities is probably one of the good determinants for how this show has been received.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 08-31-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I thought it was decent. I'm no critic but i'm particularly critical of Jeep shows. But I can put on 'two hats'.

I can take the show at face value for what it is, entertainment, and pretty much enjoy the show looking from the outside in.

But on the other hand, knowing the challenges associated with trips like this, I can look from the outside in. One of the main problems I have with shows like this is that it will always attract the intermediate-novice Jeepers. A truely experienced Jeeper traversing these distances ob obstacles knows the weak points of his/her vehicle. Consequently, they know what spares/back ups to bring, and the tools to get the job done. So, when something breaks down and the 'actors' are like "oh crap", and the show picks up 'suspense' - in the back of my mind, i'm just thinking... "ur stupid for not bringing 'x' and 'y' with you.
    Well, I am not going to defend the show, but disagree with your point of view. The whole premise of the show is that they are "unprepared" and have to make due with what they have, even if that is faked. What you are saying is like criticizing Bear Grylls (from Man vs Wild) for not bringing a lighter, some cookware and MREs...
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Good point!

Plus it IS tv. .... would be a boring show for viewers watching a Jeep break down and they pull out all the right tools and parts to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelcodex View Post
    Well, I am not going to defend the show, but disagree with your point of view. The whole premise of the show is that they are "unprepared" and have to make due with what they have, even if that is faked. What you are saying is like criticizing Bear Grylls (from Man vs Wild) for not bringing a lighter, some cookware and MREs...
    Not true, these are two nearly two completely different comparisons. A person who is survival savvy can survive without much of anything. But there is no amount of 4x4 savvy that will prevent you from being stranded in the middle of no where without the proper equipment or spare parts. There is no way around that.

Also, it seems you missed the first part of my response I stated I can look at the show at face-value and find it entertaining .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Good point!

Plus it IS tv. .... would be a boring show for viewers watching a Jeep break down and they pull out all the right tools and parts to fix it.
    It's easy to say pull out the right tools and fix it. But we all know that is not the case. Having the equipment is half the struggle. Actually performing the repairs such that it works is another.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 09-01-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I thought one was a survival expert and one a jeep expert????? This is where I got annoyed at the jeep expert not knowing how to properly wheel a Jeep to include descending in neutral brakes only WTF or getting freaked out over a little tilting. That guy being called an expert annoyed the crap out of me but if that's not the case then I'll reevaluate my opinion.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It's easy to say pull out the right tools and fix it. But we all know that is not the case. Having the equipment is half the struggle. Actually performing the repairs such that it works is another.
    Having tools is a struggle? Na... The tool box I bring with me to RC has enough supplies to completely take apart the front suspension. Actually performing the work is also trivial (for an expert anyways... which that guy is supposed to be).

But like said, there's no suspense in "oh crap we busted an axle, but its ok let me pull out these few tools and i'll have us going again in 45 minutes".

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Having tools is a struggle? Na... The tool box I bring with me to RC has enough supplies to completely take apart the front suspension. Actually performing the work is also trivial (for an expert anyways... which that guy is supposed to be).

But like said, there's no suspense in "oh crap we busted an axle, but its ok let me pull out these few tools and i'll have us going again in 45 minutes".
    Well... unfortunately, mechanical failure is not limited to suspension components, and not everything is defaulted to 45 mins. This show is entertaining for you, and that's cool. But this isn't it for me. I'm more interested in the repair and go.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Ok so after reading the posts/rants about the show I decided to give a go and watch it. I caught one off youtube where they are in the rainforest and honestly the shows not that bad. This Jeep "expert" is annoying and in my opinion no more of an "expert" than I and has no balls, but part of his job on the show is show suspense. The survival expert guy Ive got no beef with. I do feel the show is mapped out else these guys would have no shot but I do find it entertaining. I guess cause watching any Jeep off road to me is entertaining and make get the urge to go wheeling. I get everyones points about not having parts, not being an expert etc. I think criticizing it from our point of view and you experts point of view are different than those of the people who dont wheel and arent expert might enjoy. I will be watching more episodes to get some laughs when there is nothing else on..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information