Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 4" lift possible?

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    No, you would need new spindles as well to maintain the uca/lca kinematic relationship and essentially have all of the parts as the 4" superlift, just with less height.

It'd be cheaper and better to just get the superlift.
    With what I'm proposing, I would be maintaining the kinematic relationship of the upper and lower control arm and no spindles would be required. Just taking care of the added distance in a different location, no in a new spindle. As long as the vectors are working in the same angular relationship, the distance between the control arms doesn't matter.
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    How are you lowering the LCA and maintaining the angular relationship without utilizing a longer spindle? You can't increase the distance between the control arm mounts without also increasing the distance between the balljoints by the same exact amount without messing up the relationship. It's not a "one or the other" type of thing, both are required.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-29-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Even if you could double stack the suspension would be horrible I would think with almost no down travel.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    If you were to do that and keep the factory knuckle, you would need to angle the bj mounts or they would run out of travel very quickly and bind, and the resultant travel would be a short arc instead of a relatively straight travel with the factory or superlift setup. Your upper and lower control arms need to be in a same plane relationship (yes I'm generalizing but for this case it will do!)

Your bump steer would be horrendous too.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty valpacer's Avatar
    Sorry, phone hadn't updated, what Matt and Sal said!! :-D

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
    2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD QDII - 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails & Rear Sliders, Saguaro F&R Bars, Warn 9.5CTI-s, AEV Saverge Rims, 35" KM2's, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, ARB Dual Compressor + On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Optimas Front and Dual Rear Aux Batteries YouTube Vids

Member Looking for Dirt
    I have the pivot points all worked out as to keeping it all as stock, think of it as moving everything down 1-1/2". So when done the CV joints and tie rods see a 2-1/2" lift, Is 2-1/2" of lift too much?
    06 Red Jeep XK 3.7L V6 QT1, RC 2" with 1/2", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Rims, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Jim, you definitely don't have it figured out unless I'm reading it wrong? Forget about tie rods & CV axles.... first step is UCA/LCA/Spindle. You said you're lowering the LCA pivot point and using the stock spindle. The are you moving the UCA down too? That's the only alternate method to maintaining the kinematic relationship of the system.... if you lower the pivot point of the LCA you must either utilize a longer spindle OR lower the UCA equivalently.

If you don't use one of those methods the car will not drive. Try drawing it out to scale best you can and calculate the equation for the spindle angle in relation to the vertical axis (aka camber). The change in camber as the suspension cycles is a key design factor which aids in driveability, handling and performance. Its allowable delta is also bounded by the steering restrictions since camber changes correlate directly to toe angle changes. If that relationship is also not maintained you'll (at a minimum) have a bad case of bump steer which can not be corrected by other means.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-30-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I Want to have the SL on mine before Adam does!
    Haha unless your getting one in the next couple months then I don't see that happening!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Ya never know.....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    I want to know what some WKs are saying when in their mod list they say "Modified OME"? Is that with the 1/4" spacer up front or is there other components they add
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information