Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Superlift System + Flashpaq - EGR Module???

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Superlift System + Flashpaq - EGR Module???

For you guys that are running the Superlift, did you use the EGR module or another tuning method like the Flashpaq?

I'm wondering if the Flashpaq negates the need for the EGR module, which I think it does but not 100% sure. I know there's a steering position sensor so the computer knows how much difference to expect in wheel speeds for a given steering wheel position; so if the EGR calibrates that for the added track width then I would presume its still required.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    When I was in the market for my 4" Super Lift Both SL and AEV said I should get the module.( It was reported they worked on the module together.. As far as I know they may be splitting the profit.. LOL )..

In the module's advertisement it states ... " The AEV EGR (Electronic Geometry Recalibration) Module’s primary purpose is to help the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) system work with the Superlift 4” Suspension System (Part #’s K829 & K829R) in all 2005-07 Grand Cherokees and Commanders. When used properly it will
    correct 95% of all low speed false activations of the system.
    The AEV EGR Module allows the user to reprogram several factory parameters such as tire size
    and gear ratio for accurate speedometer readings. The unit also allows the activation of features such as “one touch lane change” and “reverse mirror tilt” as an added benefit."

I have never been able to get the "mirror tilt " to work but never messed with it that much or even doubled checked to see if my year has the feature.

I was getting a lot of ESP lights before I installed the EGR, now I might get one every couple of months and it goes out after one or two starts.( and before Flashpaq installation)

OBTW.. the "horn honk " to confirm the program was successfully downloaded, did not work with mine. I called AEV and was told as long as I could hear " all the relays behind the dash cycling " it worked.. I heard them ... and it worked !

I installed the Superchip later and used it to correct the speedometer error for my tires etc. Unfortunately I don't know for sure "if the Flashpaq negates the need for the EGR module". And like everything with a computer in it, I know that the Fashpaq has been updated with new and better features sense I got mine !

For quick reference for other readers here is the link to AEV's EGR instructions >> http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/i...structions.pdf
    Last edited by 1USMC; 09-03-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"ť Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

I also noticed that the superlift website says K864 comes with the EGR module, is this the case? Websites like Quadratec list the module as a separate part to order.

Ideally I'd like to NOT need the EGR since I already have the flashpaq, so if I can save ~$300 thats the way to go!

And what really throws me through a loop, because I dont fully understand "how" these parts actually change the programming, is what happens if you use the EGR to set the tire size then use the flashpaq to set the tire size? Does one override the other?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    My buddy with the 05 WK 3.7 running the 4 inch BDS and 3.73 gears had the AEV Module for about two years with no problems. When we did the gear swap he had to get the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. We tried keeping the AEV module installed and the tune with the Hypertech but his Jeep wouldn't allow both to be programmed at the same time. We ended up taking out the AEV module and he's now just running the Hypertech Speedo calibrator upgraded to the Maxx energy programmer or whatever it's called. He has had no ESP issues with the AEV module.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

^^That's kind of what I was thinking would/should happen.... double programming just wasn't making sense. And if the main function of the EGR module is to correct for tire size to resolve ESP issues, well my Flashpaq does that.

I'll have to ask Jon to find out exactly what comes with the K864 Master kit. If the EGR is NOT included, then its easy enough to install everything without the EGR and see what happens. But if it is included, could probably save a few bucks by ordering the kit without the 5154 box (EGR)

Also wish Superlift would update their site; the picture shows the kit with the rear radius arm drop brackets instead of the new longer links.

How does the flashpaq fix ESP issues?? I have the flashpaq and everyonce and a while the dash lights up like a Christmas tree when I'm making u-turns and what not. That all started after I added the 33's. I can get Jays AEV module for free so I'm not really worried about that. It just sucks because I don't want to lose the superchips tune.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 09-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

ESP issues are associated to tire diameter changes. What diameter did you program into your computer? And whats the "effective" tire diameter? Measure from the center of your hub to the ground, that's the effective radius; double that for the effective diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ESP issues are associated to tire diameter changes. What diameter did you program into your computer? And whats the "effective" tire diameter? Measure from the center of your hub to the ground, that's the effective radius; double that for the effective diameter.
    Yea I know that the ESP issues are related to tire diameter. When I installed the 33's I programmed the new tire size with the flashpaq before the XK even left the garage. I measured the tire diameter two ways. First I measured from the ground up to the top of the tire. Then I measured by making a chalk line on the ground and tire and pulled the XK forward until the chalk line on the tire made one complete rotation and extended the line on the tire to the ground. Now that I had to line on the ground I measured the distance between the two lines and used the formula to compute the tire diameter. That number was within 1/2 inch of just measuring the tire from the ground to the top of the tire. I then took the average of the two measurements and came up with a solid number for the tire diameter. Plugged that number into the flashpaq and the speedo is dead on with gps. I also paced a stock vehicle to make sure both speedos were reading the same mph. I can't remember what they measured but I think it was somewhere around 32 inches for the 33's.

This goes back to my original question about "what does the EGR" module actually do.

If it just reprograms for tire size, like you did, then your ESP issue won't be solved and you may even have a sensor that's slightly out of range causing your problems.

Exactly. I bet that's all it really does. I think a call to AEV is needed because I can't lose my Flashpaq. My jeep doesn't like the stock tune for some reason. If its not tuned to 91 octane the tranny shifts really bad (not tire size related).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information