Thread: XK making popping/clicking/rubbing sound when braking

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar

Question XK making popping/clicking/rubbing sound when braking

Hey guys,

Over the weekend I made a pretty sharp u-turn trying to make the light (Stupid, I know) and of course the XK's tcs light came on bogging the Jeep down but during the process it seemed like I really put a bind on the front end. As I straightened out the wheel to continue on my way I heard a faint clicking/popping sound as I let off the brakes.

Now as I am driving and begin slowing down for a stop or turn I hear a click when I immediately hit the brake pedal (reminds me of sticking calipers sound) followed up a faint binding/rubbing sound as if I'm putting tension on something until it clicks again (this part is intermittent).

The sounds occur primarily if I'm using the brakes to turn into my driveway or a parking space.

1.) Could it be coincidental and that I just need to lube the brakes up?

2.) Did I mess up the drivers side cv joint or front drive shaft?

This Saturday I have an appointment with the Jeep dealership for an oil change (don't worry, its FREE or I wouldn't be going at all) and a 27 point inspection. Followed up by an appointment for new tires at Discount Tire Co. Between the two I was hoping they could point me in the right direction but I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for the long post....Thanks!
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah I'd check that CV joint. Hell take a peak under there and see if the boots torn or anything. If you can wiggle it with your hands then its definitely shot.

Jack the front end up, turn the tires and try rotating the tire by hand.... see if you feel/hear any binding

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    So you don't think it has anything to do with the traction control???
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    From how he described it, sounds mechanical. Especially the intermittent "tension on something until it clicks again". He also didn't say that the TCS light came back on or stays on. So yeah, I have a feeling that joint is shot.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar
    Matt you would be correct, no lights have come on since the incident. I only mentioned the TCS light because as those with larger tires know, it happens a lot easier than the factory set up.

I'll definitely look at it this afternoon when I'm home from work. Fortunately CV's are cheap and relatively easy to replace if I remember right. The last time I changed one was 6 or 7 years ago on an Acura Legend.
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Thread Information