Thread: On Board Air

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

On Board Air

<<<<<<<<<<< . >>>>>>>>

I Installed an Air-Zenith, OB2, Black, Off-Road Kit.

The Kit came with a 200psi / 100% Duty / 4.25CFM compressor, a 3 gallon black anodized aluminum tank , digital pressure gauge and all relays, sensors, automatic pressure switch , sockets and the air hose from the compressor to tank. I also got their remote air intake hose and fittings.

It did not come with any plugs for the Bunch of extra threaded holes in the tank.

Product Review link here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfNf4tgTGTU

Manufactures link here>> http://www.air-zenith.com/

My photos of the pre-installation with all the components laid out on the floor, so I could remember how I did it myself, have vanished…. Grrrr..(along with the same for my dual battery installation). They must have been sucked into some digital black hole, due to an unexpected sun spot etc.. ( ie. I didn’t lose them.. Lol .ya sure ). Sorry...

The compressor and tank are mounted in the space vacated by my spare tire thanks to the SA’s rear tire carrier.

The electrical circuit is powered by my 2nd battery (mounted very close to it) and controlled by one push button on the PA/Siren light controller. This controller pictured below, now has a sticker on the center right blank button that is now labeled “Fan” with the symbol of a fan on it. The last blank is reserved for my future rack lights strobe flasher.

I brought all the relays, fresh air intake and its filter into the rear cargo area.

The compressor is grounded both to the frame and the 2nd battery. Anything touching something hot or cold is wrapped.

The fuse is located here and waterproofed as well as possible.

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-13-2012 at 08:30 PM.

The mounting was straight forward, I think I would consider using a plate on the top of the cargo compartment like I did with my battery, and perhaps place some rubber etc. between the plate and the top of the deck for sound and vibration attenuation. I can hear the compressor, and I think the rubber insulators for the feet are OK, but I think I could have done better.

Now from the tank to where ???? I considered many different locations and mounting options for the hose connection. Even some flush mounts. I changed my mind many times over the many months I ,( yes ), work very slowly on my projects. I ended up with going the easiest and quickest route. The driver’s side rear, closest to the tank. .....Lower left corner of the photo below....

Any none braded hose, I wrapped with a hose protector. Above.. ^^^^

I also have Ideas ( and I am open to more ) to install a metal screen type protector to cover this area and protect it from limbs etc.

The mount for the actual hose connection was made with a couple of sheets of left over aluminum. Sometime I will replace them with a much stronger mount. I was surprised how much force is needed to connect a 3/8 hose to a 200 psi connector in a small awkward location.

The cover is a PVC pipe cap sprayed with bed liner, inside and out, until it fit very snugly.

Now from this ....>>>

.......... To this …… >>>

.......... To this ......... >>>

.......... To this ........... >>>

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.

I mounted the pressure gauge on the top left side of the dash.

When you first turn on the ignition it displays the battery voltage.

Then after starting, the charging volts.

Oh sorry, almost forgot what it's main purpose is !

Now is this location and my hose length functional? So far so good !

So if I let my air out with this….

I can now fill them back up with this…

Last edited by 1USMC; 09-13-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You never cease to impress with your installs!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    That is so awesome man!! I am seriously envious of your xk I love your style!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I can not say how much I love the way you put your XK together, It is very nice.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Absolutely sick. I'd hate to wheel that beautiful XK and mess it all up!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.!. I've only done some mild to slightly moderate wheeling so far..

I want to " finish " her first ( ya, like the rest of you know, that will never happen!) and take one last photo.. then it's no holds barred.... I even plan someday taking her out to Moab. I will need to get some more experience with off road driving methods and techniques before that also..
    Last edited by 1USMC; 09-14-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt JumpmasterRT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    No doubt. The only thing I don't like about his rig is the chrome rims for that exact reason!!! (Where's that "jealous" smilie when you need it?)

Thread Information