Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What motor oil are you running?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I used to use the M1 oil filters but recently switched back to the dealer filter with M1 5w20.
    why did you switch back?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Some filters allow the oil to drain back which leaves you with less oil in the top of the motor. Or something like that haha. My dad was explaining it to me but I wasn't really paying attention. I just remember him saying to go back to the mopar filter. My jeep makes a ticking noise in the morning after sitting over night for a few minutes until its warmed up and he said that might help out
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Pretty sure the Mopar filters are made by Purolator.

I either run Wix or Purolator PureOne.

I always change my oil right at 3,000 even though I run mobil 1 so I guess it doesn't really matter what brand filter I use. But if the dealer filters help out ill just keep using them.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I have been using mostly mopar filters on my jk and have been very happy with them. There are a lot of dry start issues with the jk's and it seems people have the best luck with the mopar filters. The anti-drain back valves seems good. I too always change filters at 3k so I don't think any would be bad to use. I just drop by the dealer once a year or so and buy 4 filters and a few air filters. I don't think the prices are bad on them either.

I ran M1 in my jk until I lost the engine at 58k, I now run Castrol GTX. Trying to decide what to run in the hemi now. I have heard good things about Valvoline Durablend but its hard to find in my area it seems.

I always change my oil right at 3,000 even though I run mobil 1 so I guess it doesn't really matter what brand filter I use. But if the dealer filters help out ill just keep using them.
    It doesn't matter if you change the oil every 500 miles, You still want to run a good filter to pick up particulates

So are you saying the mopar dealer filter is bad? When I made that statement I was referring to mopar vs Mobil 1

Member Looking for Dirt
    I am yet to see any data showing any of the filters don't pick up particulates. From what I have seen they all filter at nearly the same levels. Some have more pleats which would mean they would last longer before clogging. Some have better anti-drain back valves. I haven't seen any data showing one doesn't "filter" as good as another. I ran cheap fram filters on my yj for nearly 200k miles when the jeep was totaled. I have been very happy with my mopar filter on my JK, I did have one mopar filter that had start up knock. I have used one wix and one mobil 1 and both had start up knock so I went back to mopar.

So are you saying the mopar dealer filter is bad? When I made that statement I was referring to mopar vs Mobil 1
    No, i misunderstood your statement. I thought you felt it didn't really matter and could run a $1.50 ebay filter because you changed your oil so much.

Mopar/Wix/Purolator/etc are all fine.

Oh hell no.. Lol I would never do that. Mopar or Mobil 1 extended life is all my XK will ever see

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information