Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dupli-Color Perfect Match Paint

Member Looking for Dirt madrock's Avatar
    I get my spray touch up paint from this vendor. It is a bit more pricey, but the quality is good:

http://myworld.ebay.com/spraycansunl...p2047675.l2559
    2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    The silver ain't bad - I've sprayed the flares around the rear door, because they've caught a lot of road debris over the years, and it touches up very nicely!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My jobber can mix your paint code in the same basecoat paint that a shop would use and then put it in a spray can . Maybe you can try that route. Check the phone book for a DuPont paint supply store or the like. What we should really do is have a huge wrenching party and I could show all you guys how to repair, paint, and buff out your whole rig.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I think my best "quick" option would be to get some of the etching primer, paint the whole thing with that... and then get some white matte primer and paint it white with that. My theory is if I'm going to paint it white, why not use white primer and then later on if I decide to paint it something else, it's already primer'd. Thoughts?

Or should I try a gloss white top coat to help it blend a little more with the paint? I'm afraid of trying to hard to make it blend, so then it looks weird.

Also, after i do the rear bumper I'm thinking it would be a good idea to take the front bumper off and paint it the same to help distribute the look so it's a bit more "complete". May also cut up the front bumper during this as well...
    Last edited by Matt; 04-26-2013 at 09:25 AM.

So I got word that my rear bumper might actually be getting produced soon

....now i'm back on thinking about how to paint it.

The clear coat is what brings out the gloss/smoothness in the paint finish correct? I'm back to thinking about getting the duplicolor perfect-match spray and not clear coating it; so it'll be a matte finish of my existing paint color code; kind of like how people get line-x their fenders/bumpers and mix in the matching paint colors- it's the same color, just not shiny.

Plan would be:
    1) add swirl marks to metal surface with steel wool
    2) clean with grease-remover that doesn't leave residue
    3) self etching primer
    4) Duplicolor stone white (my paint color) spray

Total cost would be ~$60 (and that's ordering a case of 6 8oz cans of the duplicolor)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    The clear does give it the gloss but it also acts as a sealant to protection it from surface rust and pitting. If I were you, I'd get a matte clear coat so it will give you the looks but still protect the paint.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Never thought of a matte clear coat... I'll give that a shot.

You may want to look into automotivetouchup.com, Ive used their paints for temporary fixes on bumpers and what not on my previous 240sx and will be using them again for this one until I can swing a full respray. I was sent to them by some guys on the forums, the blue emerald paint is very difficult to match and this spray can stuff is damn close.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Just checked them out.... they're more than twice as much for the paint. Im gonna stick with duplicolor since im going matte so im not concerned with having an identical match. I just think different shades of white would look worse than the same shade offset by gloss/matte.

They are a little pricey just wanted to give you some insight on my experience with rattle can paint for cars. Ive never used the duplicolor and since they dont offer the color code I need I cant go thru it. I am curious as to how it turns out. Im sure you know what youre doing haha just spend the extra time on prep, working at the body shop taught me prep is the most important part of it.. If you need help with wet-sanding or buffing or anything let me know..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information