Thread: Tires for 18" wheels, need a little help here.

Member Looking for Dirt

Tires for 18" wheels, need a little help here.

Unfortunately, I have the 18" stock wheels. I currently have 255/70 r18's on there with some sort of 2" lift. There are not a lot of options in that tire size. I am even okay going a little smaller since this isn't really my offroad rig. It will see some dirt roads and mild trails. I have a JK that is my offroad rig. It does look pretty good with the current size but the tires are basically a street tire and that isn't my thing.

I am thinking about a 265/60 r18 or a 265/65 r18 if they will fit and not rub. This would be shorter by a touch but a little wider than the current tires. If I have to I will go back down to the 245/60-65r18 if I have to but I would like to go a little bigger than the stock size. I don't want to run spacers and I would rather not buy new wheels right now unless I have to.

But I am also concerned about getting a larger size spare to squeeze in. I can modify the bolts and hitch to make it work if needed. We do have to run a spare the same size as the other tires right, you can't run a smaller size spare with the traction control right?

Thanks for your thoughts, this has probably been asked a billion times.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    First you are correct you can't run a different size spare but, I know caleb did it and was fine getting to a tire shop. If you're not rubbing now just look to see how much room you have left and judge from there. With small mods like the pinch weld mod and reforming the plastic both have write ups on here you can go pretty big and have no issues. Running those specs ( 265/65 r18) in the calculator I think you'll be fine doing it especially with the the previous mods mentioned being done. Keep in mind you'll probably have some rubbing when you turn the wheel full lock which can't be helped without spacers or new wheels. Also don't forget if the tire clears the knuckle it will always clear no matter how small the space is the tire knuckle spacing never moves. My tire guy was worried when he let the jeep down the tire would hit it LOL I told him that space never changes if it clears my a fraction of an inch it will always keep that distance no matter what.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I did a little further inspection and I don't know that the slightly wider tires will clear. These tires now are darn close to rubbing the upper ball joint screw. I am sitting at less than a 1/4 inch now. So, my options look like either going back down to a smaller sized tire or getting new wheels. Its only a couple hundred more to go with 5 tires and 5 (less expensive) 17" wheels than buying tires for the 18's. I don't know that I want to go the spacer route. Most seem to have good luck with them but I have heard too many stories, those I suspect most failures were improper install too.

I guess I will have to see what will work the checkbook says.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Well the hub centric spacers we are using are pretty safe. My knuckle clearance on my first set of tires you could barely fit a piece of paper between that an the tire but like I said if it clears it clears no matter how small the gap is. 17" wheels might be worth the investment just to save money on tires from now on then you could also get the proper back space so you don't have to worry about that knuckle anymore as well. I know your's isn't a trail rig but the wider stance we get from spacers or new wheels is well worth it on road as well. My jeep felt so much more stable on the road I would never think about going back to stock width again.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I really am leaning towards new wheels. I wish the 15" wheels on my jk would fit because I want new wheels for that too. Now I just have to find some the wife likes. She wants black but I don't know if I am a fan of black on black with all the Chrome on the limited. I guess I need to do some looking.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
    I really am leaning towards new wheels. I wish the 15" wheels on my jk would fit because I want new wheels for that too. Now I just have to find some the wife likes. She wants black but I don't know if I am a fan of black on black with all the Chrome on the limited. I guess I need to do some looking.
    Hell I wish 16 inch wheels would fit on our XK's. That would bring down the price of tires.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Hell I wish 16 inch wheels would fit on our XK's. That would bring down the price of tires.
    Right!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Im in the same boat. I have aftermarket 18's running a 255/65/18 with a 2.5" lift all around. Im looking at test fitting some 275/70/18 at my work soon.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Im running 275/65/18.

275/70/18 is going to rub like hell!

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yeah that's 4 inch lift territory there
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Thread Information