Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Survival kit

Exclamation Winter Survival kit

Low buck vehicle winter survival kit...
    Everyone says they don't need one with cell phones so close...

In the event of a major winter storm, the cops and emergency rescue have real problems to deal with, and a stuck motorist is a low priority. Lots of people become stranded on back roads, where it's hard to find you, or there may not be cell phone service at all. "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind". Knowing what to do, and having the correct hardware will greatly increase your chances for survival, and even reducing discomfort while waiting for help.

There are two lists one for everyday all year round travel and one for winter months.

All year round survival kits. There is more but this is what I carry in my jeep all year round. Make sure you check expiration dates on certain items.

01. Flashlight w/ extra batteries
    02. Small flashlight w/ extra batteries
    03. First Aid Kit
    04. Water
    05. MRE’s
    06. Hi-lift jack
    07. Tow strap
    08. CB radio
    09. Rope
    10. Fire Ext.
    11. Tool kit
    12. Knife
    13. Cell phone charger
    14. Shovel
    15. Couple of sheets of plywood cut in 18 x 18 inch squares
    16. Matches and lighters
    17. Flares
    18. Mechanix gloves
    19. Jumper cables
    20. Chains

Things added for winter Months

01. Heavy Blanket or Blankets, layers are best,
    02. Large Metal Coffee Can, with lid,
    03. Colored cloth or ribbon
    04. Smaller Metal Coffee Can, with lid, punch holes in sides about 1" up from top & bottom,
    05. Fat, Slow Burn Candle, must fit in small coffee can
    06 full tank of gas before a big storm
    07. Pre Packaged, Tear Open Heat Packs,
    08. Small Packages of Unsalted Peanuts, Granola Bars, "Survival Butter", etc.
    09. Packages of "Survival Water",
    10. Cold Weather I.Q.
    11. Extra gloves, hat and clothes
    12. Kitty litter

If the vehicle tail pipe is obstructed, or you pulled the exhaust lose when you became stuck, you CAN NOT run the vehicle engine to keep warm. If the tail pipe is NOT OBSTRUCTED, you may run the engine, but you have to keep an up wind (windward) side window open about an inch (1") to admit fresh air into the vehicle.
    If you don't, carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat.
    Blankets are cheap; keep two or three in the vehicle.
    Stay on the back seat and cover up, put any newspapers, dry cloths, seat covers, floor mats, etc. (anything dry) under you, as cold comes from below to displace heat as it rises.
    If you have wet cloths, take them off.

Large Metal Can w/Lid...
    Keeps your gear together in one place.
    When the large can is placed on top of the small can, the metal works as a heat diffuser, you can melt snow for drinking water, leaving water in the can will put some humidity in the air and keep body water loss to a minimum, warm water also works as a heat diffuser, and you can heat small items in the can (like food).

When the candle gets to burning low, place the small can in the large one.
    The large can works as a catch can for wax and keeps the smaller can from overheating the carpet or interior.

The larger coffee can will also double as a 'Latrine' in an emergency, as getting out of the vehicle will certainly get you cold, lose all the vehicle heat, and may result in getting you wet from snow melt on cloths.

Smaller metal coffee can with lid.
    Punching a row of 1/2" holes around the can about 1" from the top and 1" from the bottom allows air to enter and exhaust to exit as the candle burns inside the can.
    With the larger can on top, you have just made a wax fuel stove that is capable of keeping you alive in the average passenger vehicle down to 0 (zero) degrees Fahrenheit.
    DON'T FORGET TO CRACK A WINDOW FOR VENTILATION!

Fat candle no taller or larger around than your small coffee can.
    I like to leave at least 1/2" between the sides of the candle and the smaller coffee can.
    If the candle you find is longer than the small coffee can, it's not a problem as long as it fits inside the larger coffee can.
    You can also cut off a candle very easily.

If the candle is very thin, it won't stand up very well in the can, so you may want to provide a base for thin candles.
    A wire (like a coat hanger) can be bent to hold the thin candle centered in the small can pretty easily, costs and weighs next to nothing.
    Sand in the bottom of the small coffee can works well, but you will have to raise the air inlet holes a little, and the sand will require another container when it's just riding around waiting for the worst to happen...
    Don't rule out an actual candle base holder. There are some reasonable sized ones for sale that are quite durable.

I like long burn 'Emergency' candles, of the UNSCENTED variety.
    (‘Perfume' and confined spaces don't get along very well...)
    Several will fit in a small coffee can, and that means lots of heating time...

Matches & Small Butane Lighter.
    This isn't 'either/or', you need to have both.
    Butane is easiest, but I've seen butane leak out over time, and I've seen it cold enough that butane wouldn't easily light, or even flow through the valve in the lighter correctly.
    Wooden 'Strike Anywhere' or 'Lifeboat' matches are the best.
    Being larger, they are easier to use with cold fingers, and will ignite easily.
    If you don't have the 'Strike Anywhere' matches,
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE STRIKER OFF THE PACKAGE!
    Many types of matches will not ignite unless you have the package striker intended for them!

Pre-Packaged Tear Open Heat Packs.
    These things heat up on contact with oxygen, so as soon as you open the package, you are off to the races! Nothing else required.

These are wonderful gadgets, especially for someone that is already feeling the effects of exposure...
    Not the, "Damn, it's COLD out there!" exposure, the not talking, not shivering anymore type of exposure...

They are also good for hands and feet of some dipstick that already knew he was too stuck to get out already, but had to spend 30 minutes in snow & slush trying to get the vehicle to move...
    You can warm fingers up enough to get the candle lit... And wait for help.

Packages of High Energy Foods.
    To stay warm, you have to feed and water the body.
    High energy (high fat) foods like Peanuts, Chocolate, Trail Mix, Granola Bars, etc. are excellent.
    Calories are the name of the game for making body heat!

Avoid salt! No Salted Peanuts!
    Nothing that says, "Electrolyte Balanced" or Electrolyte Replacing"...
    Salt is a diuretic, will make you have to urinate more often, and dries out body tissues, not to mention makes you thirsty.

"Survival Butter" is a disgusting, yet lifesaving mix of...
    Whole Milk Fat Unsalted Butter, Sugar or Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon.
    Non dehydrating, Tons of calories, Taste isn't bad, but texture is pure slime to eat!
    Not recommended for warmer climates as when it becomes liquid, it's REALLY nasty!

Water.
    Chances are if you are stranded in winter weather, there is snow around you, so water isn't the problem...
    Cold weather "Survival Water" will need to be in "Freeze Proof" containers.
    The US Military has water in bags that expand when the water freezes, and this is the only way I know of to store water.

REMEMBER!
    Dehydration will kill you faster than anything in extreme cold.
    The human body loses water nearly as fast in extreme cold as it does in the desert.
    Without water, your body cannot regulate internal temperature, and you will have problems...

COLD WEATHER I.Q.
    Loose, Layers of cloths insulate better than one large garment.
    Large, oversized coats with sweaters and lighter jackets will insulate better than one big coat of the same weight.

Don't breath inside your cloths to try and warm up. The moisture in your breath will ruin the insulating properties of your cloths.

Manmade insulation works better than natural fibers. Down filled garments don't work worth a hoot if they get damp, and body moisture is all it takes.
    Cotton is considered the "Cloth of Death", and depending on the method of tanning, leather can actually work against you.

Shed layers of cloths as you get warm with manual labor or rising temperatures.
    Don't allow your body to sweat in your cold weather gear. Skin oils and moisture will be trapped in the fabrics and ruin the insulating properties.

Keep hydrated! You MUST have water to regulate body temperature.

Everybody’s list may and will be different, feel free to add or take away what you want but just remember weight and space when adding extra things. Dont forget to add extra things if you have kids!!!!
    Last edited by Erk469; 11-07-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: added item 06

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Nice write up. Bet it took awhile to post that
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    You missed number "6" on the added list for winter months! LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I've been set up for years in my 4x4's. In addition to the usual recovery gear, MRE's, bottled water, etc. etc. I have a couple different duffel bags that are seasonal.

In winter, I just toss in my "fowl weather bag" to add an emergency sleeping bag, two down coats, gloves including a set of battery heated gloves, wool socks, snow boots, rabbit hats, (i.e. WWI flight cap) couple of Balaclavas, ski goggles, pair of heavy Dickies insulated coveralls, wool scarves, can of Johnny Warmer fuel to go with the pair of Johnny hand warmers which are added to a packet of disposable ones, and a set of ice crampons for the boots.

Granted, that bag is 3 feet long and hard-stuffed to about 18 inches in diameter, but should I get stuck, I will NOT be like the guy in the family who tried to walk out in tennis shoes and a windbreaker. That was I think, two years ago, on an Oregon forest road. They were following a GPS, and like too many people, MINDLESSLY following it. Their little ill-equipped car got buried in the snow miles from anything. The guy didn't make it, but the wife and baby who stayed behind in the car did.

Another item I carry is a Spot Satellite Messenger. If all else fails, I can hit the 911 button and wait for rescue.

Good write up, and one that EVERYONE who heads out in winter needs to read. Frankly, I'm getting tired of reading in the news of people getting stuck who survive on eating snow and an old Snickers bar that was in the glove box. (Assuming they do survive) It's an amazing thing about modern vehicles, you can carry a LOT OF STUFF. It's not like you're making your horse tired. If you travel, summer or winter, PACK STUFF ALONG.

On edit: You can buy survival stuff on Amazon, up to and including full household kits for disasters. I carry coast guard survival candy bars, military MRE's, sealed packets as well as bottled water, emergency sleeping bag, (The winter bag just adds another) and things I can't even remember. We always joke about how we could live comfortably for days should we ever get the Jeep stuck bad. If nothing else, buy one of their pre-made 3 day survival backpacks and keep THAT in your car trunk, behind the pickup seat, or your Jeep.
    Last edited by Adondo; 11-06-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Great Write Up
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Great information, thanks for sharing!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I stuck your thread so it will be on top so people see it. Just keep the first post updated as you and other members come up with useful additions. Great post by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by cabledog25 View Post
    You missed number "6" on the added list for winter months! LOL
    I added number 6..LOL

Thanks.....It took me about a day to come up with this list. I did it because, we always see someone stuck or needs help or we maybe out in it ourselves. I just like to be prepared.

Member Looking for Dirt redrockv8's Avatar
    Do you tow a trailer around to stow all that gear? Seems like over kill but I don't live in the Pacific Northwest. I guess the gear you carry depends on where you live.
    HT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information