Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Manifold Leak

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar

Exhaust Manifold Leak

Whelp guys, it has happened, I have the dreaded 1st Gen 4.7 exhaust leak at the manifold.

Ugh, the freaking jeep wreaks of exhaust when it sitting still and I cant have that ish going on with my baby in the car. Looks like I need to prepare for a 1000 bill from the dealer. I dont think any other shop will be able to do the job, and I dont think I can do the job either - im not that mechanically inclined.

Anyone have someone other than a dealer fix this?
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    A good local mechanic should be able to handle it. couldn't hurt to get a few quotes.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Do your research, from what a lot of people have posted, especially on JF.com it may not be as difficult with a buddies help..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Thanks guys, yep Im looking around JF and asking a few local jeepers for some help or at least info on a decent fair priced shop locally.

I should know this already, these things happen at the worst times.
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust

Stopping by on lunch today to order the gasket and the new studs - is that all I need?

Im going to go ahead and order them first just to have them if I get some local help

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Order a package of the plastic rivets (the part number is in the pinch weld thread).

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yup all you need is a gasket, new manifold bolts and the plastic fender well liner rivets (removing the inner fender well makes the job easier). I wish I lived close to you. I'd have it all fixed for you in a few hours.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Yup all you need is a gasket, new manifold bolts and the plastic fender well liner rivets (removing the inner fender well makes the job easier). I wish I lived close to you. I'd have it all fixed for you in a few hours.
    Hell, Drive on down here and visit the beach by way of fixing my manifold! haha

I got the Manifold, Gasket and bolts (ugh I forgot the rivets) from the dealer $190 - I got the manifold just in case it needs to be changed, if not I can return it.

Just was quoted $100-200 for the whole job??! From a local exhaust/muffler place with a good reputation (38 years in business). Gotta love them good ole boys down here.

Tuesday I get this thing fixed, I can't have this exhaust coming in the cabin with my baby.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yeah I forgot to mention the manifold. I just replaced mine on the drivers side along with the gasket and all next bolts back in October. The dealer said whenever they have the 4.7 in for an exhaust leak, they are told to swap out the manifold too, due to it warping.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

My rig is at the shop today to get this fixed. I'll let everyone know how it goes, it will probably be there all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information