Thread: Big 3 Upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Having been in the trade for 35 years, I have to add that electrical power travels along the outer surface of a conductor, NOT within it. That's why fine stranded welding cable has such high current carrying capacity - there's hundreds of small copper strands moving the current rather than 7 or 21 large stands such as more stiff conventional cable. The wire's flexibility is a side benefit.

Stinger
    is a place we order a lot of stuff from. Even their #10 and #8 has many times the conductors as the typical stuff you get at NAPA. We use a lot of #8 and #6 in cop cars for main battery runs. (To the siren, radios, etc.)

I have #0000 for the front winch cables, and #00 for the jumper cables/rear winch feed cable. That's fine strand welding too. It's expensive, but worth it.

On edit: Ditto what Erk469 says about solid core wire. CAT5 might seem like a good idea in a vehicle, (It's cheap) but it will fatigue out and break. If you use small signal wire for switching relays etc. use stranded wire instead.
    Last edited by Adondo; 12-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information