Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 245/75/17 Goodyear Duratracs

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar

245/75/17 Goodyear Duratracs

So it looks like sometime around spring I will be looking at installing an OME HD lift. I really like Duratracs, but would rather not use wheel spacers so I'm interested in the 245/75/17 size. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the E load range. Seems a bit over kill and I'm worried that the ride will be too harsh with them. I would consider 265/70/17's but I'm afraid they won't fit or will rub too much if I don't use spacers.

So too the guys who run/ran 245/75/17 Duratracs, how do you like them? Do you regret getting them in that size (or any other tires, for that matter)? Do you guys think 265 will be doable without spacers?

Thanks guys for whatever help!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    As long as you run the proper pressure the ride wont be harsh. Just because its load range E doesnt mean they need to be run at 80 psi.

My only regret with running that size tire is they're thin and I like the look of wider tires. Everything else is great though and the thinner tires are better for road handling and mpg.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    So it looks like sometime around spring I will be looking at installing an OME HD lift. I really like Duratracs, but would rather not use wheel spacers so I'm interested in the 245/75/17 size. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the E load range. Seems a bit over kill and I'm worried that the ride will be too harsh with them. I would consider 265/70/17's but I'm afraid they won't fit or will rub too much if I don't use spacers.

So too the guys who run/ran 245/75/17 Duratracs, how do you like them? Do you regret getting them in that size (or any other tires, for that matter)? Do you guys think 265 will be doable without spacers?

Thanks guys for whatever help!
    I have 245/75/17 Duratracs. Matt turned me on to these tires and I do not regret it at all. At first, they were really loud because I never had such an aggresive tire. I have had them a few months and I never notice the noise anymore (especially with aftermarket muffler). I do agree with Matt that I like a wider tire but I also run 1.5" Spidertraxx spacers and it gives it a nice wide stance. Before spacers I rubbed at full lock (with pinch weld mod done) which is why I bought spacers plus I wanted the tires wider and could not swing new off-set wheels. If you go larger then 245/75/17 I think you will rub a good bit.

Overall I love the tires and I still get compliments on them. I am very excited to try the thin tires on the snow as I heard they kick butt
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Are they really that loud? I read that they pretty decent on road, considering what they are. They're not overly stiff then? I know you don't have to air then up to 80 psi but wouldn't 10 ply be stiffer over something with a lower load range? I think the thinner tires would suit my needs better, although I do like the look of a thicker tire. I will probably eventually get some 1" spacers but I would like to run them without spacers for awhile. Was the punch weld mod absolutely necessary to run this size? Thanks guys.

They're really not loud at all... they're similar to most A/T's in terms of noise, which to make more noise than the stock highway tires. Corey is just sensitive

The rubbing you'll get without spacers is due to the tires hitting the body, not the pinch weld.

You won't have an issue with the pinch weld until after the spacers are on.... so if you want, you can forego the pinch weld mod and then see if you rub after the spacers are on. If you do, its an easy mod to take care of.

With the weight of our vehicles, the sidewall stiffness between a D and E load range is negligible in terms of affecting the ride. Think about it this way, if you deflate the tires will the sidewall hold the vehicle up? No, the sidewalls still flex.

Going from a P to LT tire affects the ride more so due to the weight of the tires (affects suspension rebound) and harder tread compound. Once your in a LT tire, going from D to E really doesn't isn't going to be that noticeable unless you're also changing size (more weight)
    Last edited by Matt; 12-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Okay good. I understand they'll be louder than stock but I just don't want it to be excessively loud. I'm assuming there is no way to get rid of rubbing hitting the body, right? That makes me more confident in buying a E load range tire. Would you recommend any other tire to check out while I'm at it? General Grabber AT2, BFG AT, Firestone Destination AT? My main priorities are snow handling and ride noise. There really isn't any place to go rock crawling in Omaha so I don't need it to excel in that category. Thanks a lot Matt.

I'm a big fan of the Grabber AT2.... and a big proponent of the BFG AT (i had two sets and did not like them one bit, especially in snow).

The Duratracs are awesome in all conditions, look very aggressive and have great road manners for such an aggressive tread pattern. You won't be disappointed. I don't believe my Duratracs were any louder than my Grabber AT2's if that helps put it in perspective for ya.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Go Duratracs, stay away from the BFGs. I have them now and am not impressed, they are horrible in mud and are pretty noisy for an AT
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

All right guys, looks like I'm gonna do the Duratracs and lift next spring unless we get a bad winter here....hopefully. Gives me an excuse to do it early! Still rolling on the stock Forteras at about 50K and they're showing their age.

Holy crap i didn't realize our stock tires could last that long.... usually they're slicks by 40k

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information