Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What I've been wasting my time with lately (Ramcharger rebuild) Pt.1

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Looks awesome man!

I had an 87 K5 on 35s in High School. Thing was a beast. What kind of trails are you going to use it for?

Only thing you might want to consider is the lower part of that front bumper. It will kill the approach angle.

Keep up the good work man
    You're not the first, to point that out...

That's actually where the winch mounts behind the bumper. The other thing is, I think PA is one of those states, where your front bumper can only be "X" number of inches off the ground to be street legal, and this is the 'cheat' to achieve that.

I definitely don't want to aim it at a boulder (or even a BIG log!), and I'm pretty sure the MOAB is out, but for the lower Alleghenies, I think I'll be OK. I'll let you know the first time I get it good & stuck/high-centered though.

I think for starters, will try it in some swampy fields, and see where all the interior leaks might be!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    You're not the first, to point that out...

That's actually where the winch mounts behind the bumper. The other thing is, I think PA is one of those states, where your front bumper can only be "X" number of inches off the ground to be street legal, and this is the 'cheat' to achieve that.

I definitely don't want to aim it at a boulder (or even a BIG log!), and I'm pretty sure the MOAB is out, but for the lower Alleghenies, I think I'll be OK. I'll let you know the first time I get it good & stuck/high-centered though.

I think for starters, will try it in some swampy fields, and see where all the interior leaks might be!

Gotcha. Ours is headlights in MO and it depends on where you get it inspected.

Best invesment I ever put into that thing was a lunchbox locker. I look forward to seeing the wheeling pics!
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

I can't BELIEVE I never posted a video of the engine running!!! This was AFTER the fuel lines and exhaust had been done, but we hadn't TOUCHED the engine yet! This is with 6 year old motor oil in it, no less!

http://s212.photobucket.com/user/The...e2fa3.mp4.html

Here's some under-the-hood pics, since that's done now.

With the new adjustable draglink installed, we were able to do away with the lift block AND the drop Pitman arm, and now the truck turns RIGHT, too!

We're still going with the dual stabilizer though, which should be here from 4wd parts any day now!

Here's a pile of "other" in my office at the moment, including the new front & rear diff carriers. I should have enough in ye olde tax refund to get the axles and transmission work done, and even get the winch installed next month!

'07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    looking good
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

WHAT... have I gotten myself into?!?!

Well, the truck came home around noon. My oldest & my youngest wanted to ride in it, so we stopped and picked up some JB Weld, and put $40 of gas in it... so it has a quarter tankful now ). Put the locking gas cap on it, after I got it home, too.

Here's a little of the experience, leaving Monro Muffler with it!

Ya' gotta click on those, for them to play in a new browser. I dropped the camera the second time, NOT because we were crashing, but Good LORD it DOES wander all over the road!!!

DUAL stabilizer and Borgeson steering shaft, here we come - El - PRONTO!!!!

It wanders BADLY, lumbers like a wounded Buffalo, and is slightly quieter than an artillery barrage... and that's how you discover what's REALLY going on with it!

I spent more time IN it today, than I have in the past 6 years. Replaced the rear liftgate pistons (actually, only one was bad, but I replaced them as a pair. Set the one still holding a charge aside for a spare), and mostly just looked over the interior, cleaned out the center console, etc.

GREAT thing about that liftgate - it held the hatch up while I unbolted the old pistons!!!

The red shock boot makes a GREAT covering for that bolt (holds the high lift jack in place!), so when the gate swings around, it doesn't punch a hole in the lower rear quarter! Once the spare is on there, it won't be a problem. The full-size spare will be too big, to allow the gate to come around that far. I just stick it on there for times like NOW, when the gate's open, and I'm working out of the back.

That, and I'm PRETTY sure I discovered why the steering is so wobbly!

Looks like a new Borgeson steering gearbox, AND Borgeson steering shaft!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Looking great
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Awesome build!!! I need to find a project like this.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Looking great
    Yes, looking great, except for that steering box and shaft!!! Dear Lord, don't drive that buffalo until you've replaced that!!!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Yes, looking great, except for that steering box and shaft!!! Dear Lord, don't drive that buffalo until you've replaced that!!!
    Yep... it sucks out LOUD!

Was talking about it with the previous owner's wife at church on Sunday - she said, "Oh yeah - it's been like that for a while!" I told her, lifting it 4 1/2" and adding 36's did NOT improve it!

Well, my "uncle" finally came through yesterday, so the steering/tranny/axle upgrade phase will begin shortly!!!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information