Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
I've always heard, that unless you have the 8 bolt wheel (mine's a 5), it's a Dana 44, which makes sense. My '79 Bronco had one, too. They were so stout, they used 'em as REAR axles on CJ's!

Engine runs strong still & holds compression. I do wanna break it down and rebuild it on general principle as well. Tax refund this year will take care of the drive train, and maybe the winch. Thankfully, the previous owner did GOOD maintenance - I just hate it's sat so long. My mechanic DID turn it over and let it run every couple of months, so that's been a plus, too.
Yea you are correct about the lug count. But some people change out the outer knuckles to get a desired lug pattern. (example, rear axle may be 8 lug and full float while the front could be a Dana 44. So they change the knuckles and lugs up front to match the rear. That way they only buy 1 set of wheels and not 2.)

That's good to hear about the motor. I'd just do the basic rings, bearings, gaskets, and probably a porting on the heads to get more air flow and it should be good to go. A rebuild like that won't hurt your wallet as bad.

Also, if I was building an off road only rig, I'd go either fuel injected or propane. If you have a carburater, you will hate it when you hit a steep hill.

Cool build. keep us updated man and maybe I'll FedEx overnight to you some NC BBQ and Cheerwine, LOL.