Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What I've been wasting my time with lately (Ramcharger rebuild) Pt.1

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've always heard, that unless you have the 8 bolt wheel (mine's a 5), it's a Dana 44, which makes sense. My '79 Bronco had one, too. They were so stout, they used 'em as REAR axles on CJ's!

Engine runs strong still & holds compression. I do wanna break it down and rebuild it on general principle as well. Tax refund this year will take care of the drive train, and maybe the winch. Thankfully, the previous owner did GOOD maintenance - I just hate it's sat so long. My mechanic DID turn it over and let it run every couple of months, so that's been a plus, too.
    Yea you are correct about the lug count. But some people change out the outer knuckles to get a desired lug pattern. (example, rear axle may be 8 lug and full float while the front could be a Dana 44. So they change the knuckles and lugs up front to match the rear. That way they only buy 1 set of wheels and not 2.)

That's good to hear about the motor. I'd just do the basic rings, bearings, gaskets, and probably a porting on the heads to get more air flow and it should be good to go. A rebuild like that won't hurt your wallet as bad.

Also, if I was building an off road only rig, I'd go either fuel injected or propane. If you have a carburater, you will hate it when you hit a steep hill.

Cool build. keep us updated man and maybe I'll FedEx overnight to you some NC BBQ and Cheerwine, LOL.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Cool Painted!!!

Went by today to talk to Jimmy about keeping it at his place a few more weeks. My other mechanic is down with a bad knee that he blew out pushing a Honda across the lot (I asked him, "If you can't push a Honda, how're you gonna push my RAMCHARGER?!?! :P )

Sure enough, it's BEEN painted!!!

In fact, he added the red factory pin stripe BACK to it, which set it off better than I thought it would. And it's two-tone again, although not QUITE like the factory had it. Here we go!

The top color, is a flat metalflake dark grey (the bright sunshine today played havoc with my auto-exposure - I only have one pic that really does it justice) - the bottom, a flat black. For flat colors (easy to touch up again after a good BRUSH run...), they really pop a LOT more than I expected them too (I was expecting more like the flat military colors of HUMVEES and Ma Dueces, than this!). Here's some more!

'07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    That's a clean looking Rig!!!!!!!
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

PAINTED!!! pt.2

I'm wearing my red BSA windbreaker, hence the reddish reflection on the fender here.

Check out this front bumper now!

Looking down here between the bodywork and the bumper, you can see the shelf for the winch to mount to. The fairleads come out the front, and you're good to go!

That's Jimmy, on the far left, FYI.

A decent shot of the rear hatch and bumper here - they popped the red plastic off the bottom of the "Dodge" plate, as it had collected a fair amount of crud over the years, and we don't need any MORE rust promotion on this hotrod! Wayne, Jimmy's right hand man, suggested red reflector tape... and that ain't a half-bad idea!

Been looking for SOMETHING to demonstrate scale, as to the height on this monster. I saw this 5 gallon plastic gas can nearby, and it's DIRECTLY UNDER the corner of the bumper here. It's about 2' high, for reference.

'07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Cool PAINTED!!! pt.3

Jimmy's doin' it up right! Here's the inside of the doors - sanded and ready to likewise be painted!

This was probably the best picture of the bunch, to really see the paint and how well it works together.

I have dreamed - for 6 years - of this truck LOOKING this good... and now it actually does! They still have some frame/lift work to do - needs the second set of rear shocks installed as well. Once the brake & gas lines are done, then we can knock off some of the scale and start undercoating it. But another B-I-G hurdle is now cleared - the bodywork and paint is just about DONE!!!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Thats one sick looking rig man, definitely have to schedule a wheeling trip when its done!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looking great man!

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    That thing is looking awesome!!!!!
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Cool MORE pics!!! :-D

It got rolled outside last night. The second set of rear shocks has been installed, a few more holes under the unibody puttied, and some other painting done. It has no fuel lines, and no brake lines - so it can't start OR stop right now... but it makes a HELLUVA paperweight!!!

That said, it's REALLY quite photogenic at this point, so here's some more to look at!

Cool MORE pics!!! :-D :-D

Well, PART of the insides of the doors got painted.

This'll inhibit rust and seal the edges most exposed to the elements!

The interior is greatly cleaned up now.

It's a work in progress still - in fact, Jimmy's going on vacation, and can't leave it in the shop, so it's going to sit at my place for a couple of weeks, until my man at Monro is healed up, and can install the brake and fuel lines, and then get started on everything else, to get it to pass inspection & start rolling again.

Check this out! http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/re...3049-92v-.aspx I'm thinking of replacing the carpet in it with this!

What say you - grey, or black?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information