Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m&p 15 sport

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar

m&p 15 sport

Since us Jeep fanatics seem to be gun fanatics equally, I need some feedback on the M&P 15 sport. Ive heard good things from many people and heard some not so great things, anyone have any time with this rifle? Looking to get one soon, real close to putting a deposit on one for when it gets back in stock...
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Lightbulb

As a plinker, it's 'ok.' I owned an M&P15T for a while - it had much more of what I was looking for out of the box, but even then, it wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I eventually got a mid-length BCM instead.

Were these 'NORMAL' times, I'd say, get a Colt 6920 and fuhgedaboudit - that, and BCM rifles - were about the only two coming out of the box, under $1,200, that were good to go! Add sling and optic to taste, and you were off & running.

NOW... I guess I'd buy whatever I could get, and then build it up as you can.

Things you want in a home/self defense rifle would be; 1: 7 barrel twist (handles larger bullets better), a F/A BCG (makes for a longer dwell time in battery, so more of your round's energy propels the bullet, instead of venting out the ejection port. Assuming your gas block isn't leaking, the extra weight makes decreases the chance of FTF's/FTE's), chrome-lined barrel (does NOTHING for accuracy - UN-lined barrels are more accurate through the first 2,000 rounds, usually - but it does INCREASE barrel life), some sort of railed forend, condusive to mounting a light, an optic, and a foregrip to taste.

Since almost all lowers in America anyways, are either forged or billet (having owned billets, I prefer forged - billet tends to be overly bulky, and you'll pay more for what can be sloppier fit of fire controls in particular, lowers tend to be pretty uniform, depending on your trigger group. Your upper is the engine of your AR - and you want a 428 Super Cobrajet up top - not some GM V-5 hunka 'miscellaneous.'

My BCM is the ONLY factory rifle I own - I either built, or had custom built, my others.

I probably SHOULD start my own gun locker thread... but I'm lazy. Here's a couple of writeups on a couple of them - the FDE cerakoted one here - and my tactical .22LR trainer here. I can get you specs on the others as well if you like.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Ive considered getting the .22LR but was told once Ive shot it a few times Ill want something with "more balls", hence looking into the m&p15.. If i can find one I think Im going to jump on it but with the demand as it is its going to be tough. Im trying to get one custom made considering my buddys friend will do it for next to nothing considering what it will be. Im in NY and the gun laws are ridiculous, I originally wanted an XD-M or m&p9mc but because Im not a NY resident but a Fla resident I cant even touch a pistol and be legal, HOWEVER I can own a semi-auto rifle and shotgun comepletely legally without a permit, pretty dumb if you ask me. So this is why I want something that enjoyable to shoot..

Edit: I really dont want to spend over $800, thats why this is appealing to me. Obviously with everything what you get is what you pay
    Last edited by 06JeepXKHEMI; 01-07-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Ive considered getting the .22LR but was told once Ive shot it a few times Ill want something with "more balls", hence looking into the m&p15.

I built a DEDICATED .22LR trainer because;

a) it's cheap to shoot!
    b) dedicated means REAL lower - I can pop the pins, and snap on a 5.56 upper, pop in a magful of 5.56, and be GTG with my "real" AR in under 30 seconds.
    c) it doesn't feel like a 'toy.' I built it to closely approximate my other rifles, for realistic manual of arms, weight & heft, and fire controls. It's great for practicing your breathing, hand/eye coordination, and CQB drills on a budget.

ONCE you've got your 5.56 AR (In my case, I have 4 of them), the .22 trainer makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Edit: I really dont want to spend over $800, thats why this is appealing to me. Obviously with everything what you get is what you pay
    Eeep. In the current paranoia, I don't think $800 will get you even a reliable USED upper...
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

The m&p is less than $800 just a matter of finding one.. This is why Im looking to get a custom one, for 1k Id rather have a complete custom than buying one off the shelf

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Get what you can afford and that's all you'll ever need. The biggest difference from one weapon to another is the one thing no one talks about and that's the end user. So unless your shooting competition at a high level you'll be fine. I can take any AR and get a kill shot at 300 meters consistently mag after mag with iron sights. Drop on a ACOG and my grouping gets tighter and its easier to make the shot. I'll admit the more pricey ones will give you better consistency and tighter groupings with less problems but most AR's will at least get threw one combat load before you get a malfunction. Save your money on the weapon and spend it on becoming an expert with that weapon. Just IMHO

Sal this is EXACTLY what my buddy told me, he was in the Army as well. Im not going to competitions but rather recreational and hopefully not needing to but home protection. When I can find the m&p Im going to get it, thanks for everyones input

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    wow, im glad I check out this thread - that sure is an affordable rifle! Its now on my radar come bonus/tax time
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

It sure is thats why I want it.. problem is finding one available, everywhere is sold out and with the way these regulations are going who knows when or if we will be able to acquire one

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Yeah I hear that, I think im in the market for a M&P9 before I get a rifle though. We'll see
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information