Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brakes..?

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar

Brakes..?

So recently I've developed a bad brake squeak, and I've been having an occasional brake dragging noise on my WK. I don't know much at all about brakes, so excuse my ignorance lol. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what the dragging noise is yet.. or what's causing it. But it seems like its coming from the left front. I also need knew brake pads. I don't have a shudder or any vibration when braking, so my question is can I get away with just putting new pads on and not new rotors? I know this probably isn't best thing to do, but $ is a little tight right now. So if I can get by with my current rotors, I'd like to for now. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Ive "slapped pads" on vehicles. Sometimes it works, sometimes you end up with more brake squeal.

If you're getting a dragging noise caused by rust build up on the rotors edges and/or grooves worn in the face of the rotor, you're better off replacing them.

That could be my issue with the dragging. The outer edges and on the inner part, like the middle of the rotor and pretty rusty. Any suggestions on where to get pads and rotors? Brands?

2005 WK - MY GARAGE

For rotors I recommend Centric Premiums (~$47ea) and pads id go with Akebono (~$63). Theres cheaper pad options like Wagner's for ~$30 if moneys tight.

Check out rockauto and find a 5% discount code.

Great thanks Matt. When I got home from work I went out to see if I could find the "dragging" noise. I finally found it. It is the left front, and on the inside of the rotor there is some kind of metal plate, or shield maybe? (Again, excuse my ignorance, I don't know much about these things lol). On the bottom, it seems like it is dragging on the rotor, or on something. I layed underneath and just rolled the Jeep a tiny bit with my hand, and I could hear it dragging. Then I pulled it away from the rotor with one hand and again rolled it with my other, and there was no noise. I tried to shows on the next couple pictures where it seems to be dragging. Hopefully someone will be able to understand lol.

While I was under there, I noticed what seems to be some kind of leak, so I started another topic with some pics of that. Sorry for being such a pain in the ass today lol.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

That's just the dust shield. Problem solved! They tend to make a lot of noise when they catch rocks/mud when wheeling lol.

Lol what can I do to stop it from dragging?

2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Exactly what you did... just bend it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    glad you fixed it, I have the same issue when wheelin when getting a rock stuck in between that plate & rotor.

one thing I do want to say, is don't auto think you need to replace the rotor when you do brakes, you can "TURN" the rotors if it is still within spec and then you can slap new pads on it. this will prevent squealing. Any brake shop or auto part store can check if with in spec.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

^^ That is true.
    But also consider the cost, which will probably vary a lot. Some shops around me charge $40+ to do it.

It's often not much more money to get new rotors.Then you dont have to worry about taking your brakes apart, driving another vehicle to a shop to have the rotors turned and hope the trainee tech does a decent job (doesn't turn them too fast or use dull teeth). For how often we need to change brakes on vehicles these days, I'm a fan of spending $80-$100 for a good set of rotors and slapping everything on in a matter of 30 minutes and calling it a day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information