Thread: Is Something Leaking??

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar

Is Something Leaking??

Sorry for being such a bother today with all of my problems. When I was under my Jeep trying to figure out me brake problem, I saw what seems to be some kind of leak. I really don't have any clue what it would be. Here are a couple of pictures.

This picture is from under the passenger side doors, looking towards the back of the Jeep.

This one is from underneath the spare tire, looking towards the front of the Jeep.

Hope someone can help. Thanks guys.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That's the pinion seal on the rear differential. Not difficult to replace... but something i'd recommend doing with a friend that has some experience.

To replace that seal you need to take off the yoke which also loads the pinion bearings. So before you remove the bolt you need to use a beam style torque wrench to measure the rotational torque; then when you re-install everything you tighten the nut until you match the same rotational torque. This makes sure you don't over-tighten the pinion bearings and seize them up.

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar
    Oh boy. I'm not sure that's something i want to try to tackle lol. Especially with no garage and limited tools.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Junior Member Looking for Dirt frtgy89's Avatar
    If you take to a shop, I'd recommend a 4X4 place, the labor should be less than an hour, but you'll probabally pay an hour, and the part is very reasonable. When I lifted my XK I work with the tech at my family's shop and it took us 30 min to change mine.
    06 Commander Base, 4.7, QT2, Dark Khaki, Leather,2.5 OME lift, Rocky Mtn Outfitters upper control arm kit, 245/75-17 BF Goodrich Rugged Trails, Steel Armadillo upgrades. This is my 2nd Jeep, I owned a '68 J-3000 Gladiator flat bed in the early '80s.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yup that's definitely coming from the rear pinion seal. That's an easy fix with the right tools
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Thread Information