Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better late than never.....

Member Looking for Dirt scottso699's Avatar

Better late than never.....

Hi Guys - I am relatively new here... I've been posting for a couple of weeks but never got to post to the new members section. But better late than never right?

I come from a long line of Jeeps since my first car. My first car was a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with the AWESOME 2.8L V-6. My parents gave it to me and all I knew at that time was that it has an engine. Needless to say the engine died (badly) one day on the highway. It was a sign.

I sold it for $500 and went and bought a 1995 Grand Cherokee. Wow what a difference. Still only knew it had an engine... nothing else. BUT I knew I WANTED to know more. So I wanted to make it bigger and the first thing I did was by a set of Procomp ES3000 shocks. I was scared to death putting them on and studied the Haynes Manual night and day until I put them on. Looking back now I just laugh as I can replace shocks in 20 minutes now with my eyes closed. SO I put a 2 inch BB lift and 31 inch BFG All terrains on it and beat on it for 3 years.

80,000 miles later I found a 98 5.9L with a 2 inch lift and 31s that I had to have. Traded the 95 and cash and Now i had the beginnings of a monster. In the 6 years I had that Jeep it went from the 2 inch spacer lift with 31 inch all terrains to a 7.5 inch long arm kit and Goodyear MTR 35s. There wasn't anything this thing couldn't Conquer! Lockers, HD transfer case, Chromoly axle shafts, etc. - this thing was tank. Accept for one thing.... ice. Ice sucks. Here is why ice sucks:http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...019_medium.jpg Needless to say... the jeep was destroyed by slipping on the ice. So I stripped off all the parts and found ANOTHER 5.9L in VA for $800. Sold what ever parts I didnt' need (interior) and made it all back and then some.

In 6 months time I had Silver 5.9 Beast 2.0. I had it for a little over a year and half and had a great time with it. But then we found out my wife was pregnant with Twins and 3 kids in a WK was not to be. SO I tried selling the ZJ but the right buyer never came along so I ended up trading it in and getting a 2008 Nissan Quest (the space ship as we call it). I ended up with my wife's 2006 WK Hemi Overland - not a bad consolation prize but over all a set back in my off-roading world.

So that brings me to now. I have put an old man emu HD lift kit on it with Bilstein struts and shocks. I bought a used set of BFG Mud Terrains off a kid on Craigslist for $50 (yes $50!) They are about 50% tread life so not too bad! I put a dynomax ultra flow muffler on and cut off the resonator. I bought a superchips programmer (great mod - totally fixed the crappy the throttle response). I changed the thermostat to a 180 degree stat. I bought a K&N CAI the minute it rolled off the dealer lot when I got it for my wife. Now I have some armor laying in my garage waiting to get put on so I can take it to Rausch Creek!

And that's me in a nut shell... glad to be here and meet some new friends (believe it or not I lost some friends - including my best friend - when I traded in the ZJ!)
    Scott

2006 WK Overland
    OME HD / Blistein 4600 Struts/ Monroe F150 Load Adjusting Shocks / Superchips Programmer / 265/70r17 BFG Rugged Terrians / K&N CAI / Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Welcome to the group!! Youll love it over here all great people! RC is going to be a blast and you'll see eventhough its IFS these WKs/XKs are beasts, especially with the HEMI and QDII...
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the asylum!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    About time!

Garage thread is next....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Garage thread is next....
    That is true! Because once I start building it doesn't stop... J.e.e.p. just-empty-every-pocket!
    Scott

2006 WK Overland
    OME HD / Blistein 4600 Struts/ Monroe F150 Load Adjusting Shocks / Superchips Programmer / 265/70r17 BFG Rugged Terrians / K&N CAI / Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler

That's the plan...... well, start building until your wife (or fiance cough*corey*cough) makes you stop lol

That's the plan...... well, start building until your wife (or fiance cough*corey*cough) makes you stop lol
    Luckily my wife likes Jeeps too so I am safe if it is within reason.... Between my Jeep, hockey and my model railroad I chose some expensive hobbies...
    Scott

2006 WK Overland

Hey my buddy and I have been looking for an "old man" hockey league.... haven't played since highschool though... where do you play?

I lucked out with my wife too- she's all for offroading

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Open Hockey_March2011 202.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1798
    Hey my buddy and I have been looking for an "old man" hockey league.... haven't played since highschool though... where do you play?

I lucked out with my wife too- she's all for offroading
    I mainly play open hockey and have not played on an actual team in a long time - I just don't have the time or $$$ to play on an actual team. Open hockey is great because it is always at the same time - a lot of the same guys show up, so it's like playing on a team. I play usually in Red Bank on Wednesday afternoons but that's only because I work in Red Bank. Any other time I'd play in Howell or Wall on Friday nights. I'm a goalie so it makes it easier on the wallet too - I don't pay to play! I figure I paid my dues when I bought all of my equipment! If you guys are ever interested in going a Friday night let me know. I try to play once a week and twice a week wouldn't be so bad either.

My wife loves Jeeps but does not love the outdoors. But that's ok. Maybe someday when my kids are older and we get a pop up trailer or want to rent a cabin and I'll take them to Twin Grove Camp Grounds. Its a beautiful place if you've never stayed there - and I'll go up to Rausch while they hang at the pool.
    Scott

2006 WK Overland

Awesome. You play at Howell Ice World? Thats less than 10 min from my house.... will have to dust off my equipment and see if I remember how to skate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information