Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: John's 1" Lift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Haha no problem. You guys are gonna have to give me a few weeks... in the middle of our FIRST Robotics build season and my semester... and putting my house on the market this weekend.... damn im just about ready for a mid-life crisis.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    its all good man, im in no big rush, i still got about a month and half till i get to see my XK anyways. and good luck man

Member Looking for Dirt scottso699's Avatar
    Yeah for the price you are quoting I would definitely take a set! Other than it being a pain in the a$$ to make, I think you could make a good side business manufacturing small scale lift kits (or leveling kits as the pick-up guys love to call them...) and components... I mean no where else have I ever seen a spacer of that size for our jeeps - it would even be marketable to... dare I say... Liberty KK owners too (sorry if anyone out there is a Liberty owner and I offend you. If it's your second car (or wife's, gf's, lover's, etc.) then it's ok.)
    Scott

2006 WK Overland
    OME HD / Blistein 4600 Struts/ Monroe F150 Load Adjusting Shocks / Superchips Programmer / 265/70r17 BFG Rugged Terrians / K&N CAI / Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler

I hear ya. I definitely didn't set the price to make any real profit.... basically just covering the material cost, shipping and some quality beer. Someday id like to get into a fabrication side business, but for now im busy enough with 2 (+1 in June) kids, full time job, working on masters degree (before kids get on enough for after school sports), volunteering my time mentoring highschool robotics team, and trying to sneak some "me" time in there to play with my jeep.I think thats why im on these forums so much..... gives me an opportunity to enjoy my hobby and help out other enthusiasts in between my daily chaos!

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah the new gas tank skid replaced the whole unit. Check out the "how to" section; Sal and I both have threads that show R&R of the gas tank skids. Mine shows how to trim for control arm clearance.

As for shocks- most of us run extended length shocks for better articulation offroad. You can gain A LOT of down travel in the rear with a good shock setup.
    I figured since I'm only looking for 1" of lift I'd go for the stock length Bilsteins. I don't think I'll contact the skid with them but I'll trim in the future....someday I'll upgrade anyways haha.

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    awesome post... looking forward to seeing a comparison next to another WK.

interested in doing this. matt are you not making spacers anymore after this last batch? if replace my MLLs with bilsteins id like to keep alittle bit of a boost in the rear.

i need to get me some XK HEMI/TOW coils.
    I will try to find another WK to park next to as soon as possible. I also had MLL's (stock length) at one point and I didn't love the ride. It was a little harsh but not terrible. I decided to go with Bilsteins for the improved ride, but also wanted to retain the added help when towing that the MLL's provided. That's why I also switched to Hemi/Tow XK coils and a 1/2 inch rear spacer. Not to mention I appreciated the added lift. BTW, keep in mind that I have the CRD which is the heaviest engine choice available. If you wanted a bit more lift in the front, I bet the CRD front coils have a little higher spring rate.

I hear ya. I definitely didn't set the price to make any real profit.... basically just covering the material cost, shipping and some quality beer. Someday id like to get into a fabrication side business, but for now im busy enough with 2 (+1 in June) kids, full time job, working on masters degree (before kids get on enough for after school sports), volunteering my time mentoring highschool robotics team, and trying to sneak some "me" time in there to play with my jeep.I think thats why im on these forums so much..... gives me an opportunity to enjoy my hobby and help out other enthusiasts in between my daily chaos!
    Hey Matt, out of curiosity, what line of work are you in? Engineering?
    Last edited by jjt250; 01-29-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    I will try to find another WK to park next to as soon as possible. I also had MLL's (stock length) at one point and I didn't love the ride. It was a little harsh but not terrible. I decided to go with Bilsteins for the improved ride, but also wanted to retain the added help when towing that the MLL's provided. That's why I also switched to Hemi/Tow XK coils and a 1/2 inch rear spacer. Not to mention I appreciated the added lift. BTW, keep in mind that I have the CRD which is the heaviest engine choice available. If you wanted a bit more lift in the front, I bet the CRD front coils have a little higher spring rate.
    great- exactly the info i was looking for. i have the stock length MML in the rear as well with my BB. however, once i take out my BB and leave the MLL i was going to use her as a DD and towrig maybe. but i was curious how harsh the MLLs would be and how i would compensate for the boost they gave/give me. sounds like you found the right solution. thank you sir.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Those bilsteins, depending on model, may be longer than the oem shocks. Not a big deal regardless.

And yessir.... used to be an ASE certified tech, now a mechanical engineer (B.S. working towards M.S.) w/aerospace cert.

great- exactly the info i was looking for. i have the stock length MML in the rear as well with my BB. however, once i take out my BB and leave the MLL i was going to use her as a DD and towrig maybe. but i was curious how harsh the MLLs would be and how i would compensate for the boost they gave/give me. sounds like you found the right solution. thank you sir.
    No problem! I don't think the MLL's were that stiff. Some people don't mind, others do. Part of the problem for me might've been the fact that I was stock in the front so I thought it felt a little bit unbalanced IMO. Also when going over bigger bumps, the MLL's just felt less willing to use travel (which makes sense) which made the ride suffer and gave a sort of harder landing. I also like the peace of mind of having less stress on the shock mounts, which weren't really designed to hold a lot of load. Although it probably wouldn't be a problem, this is what I tow a lot and it clearly has a lot of tongue weight:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120809_200206.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1806

Name:	IMG_20120609_153004.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1807

This was a heavy one...

Name:	IMG_20120605_152214.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1808

Bottom line, if you're willing to spend the extra money on Bilsteins, XK coils, and coil spacers, I think it is a better set up and I know I enjoy driving it much more now. I'll post towing impressions next time I have it hooked up.

Those bilsteins, depending on model, may be longer than the oem shocks. Not a big deal regardless.

And yessir.... used to be an ASE certified tech, now a mechanical engineer (B.S. working towards M.S.) w/aerospace cert.
    Very cool! Also, I'll be sure to check the length of the Bilsteins next time I'm working on the Jeep (Thursday). I didn't notice a difference in length, but it would certainly be welcomed...
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    wonder what the biggest size tire you cam fit now, comfortably...
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

wonder what the biggest size tire you cam fit now, comfortably...
    Well I really want Goodyear Duratracs, but there really aren't many sizes available that I'm looking for. I was thinking 245/70/17 but Duratracs are still expensive, kind of heavy, and those are load range E which I don't need. I was thinking General Grabber AT2's because they have a lot more sizes, much cheaper, and lighter. I know you can do 265/65/17 on stock suspension but you'll probably want to run spacers. I don't want to run spacers until I get Moabs this summer and I want 1" Bora wheel spacers. So many tire decisions, but I do love the way Duratracs look and perform so I might just get those.
    John

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information