Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defender Roof Rack update

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar

Defender Roof Rack update

This is just a general update on the Defender Roof rack for anyone interested in them.

My story started over a year ago when I saw Gulf550 mount one on his Commander. ( so all this is Gulf 550's fault !! LoL) I thought it would work good for me and my intended application for it. I finally ordered it in February of LAST year. I then ordered the driving, backup and side scene lights for it.

My lights have been lonely, sitting in the garage all by themselves this last year ! I ordered the rack from 4 Wheel Parts. Every 2 or so months I would call to check on its status. They would call Off Road Unlimited ( owner of Defender Roof racks), and the reply would always be, " would be shipped in the next 30-45 days".

After 5 months I called ORU and was told they had lost their old manufacture but had a new one that was just coming up to speed and I should have mine in approx .. you guessed it .. 30-45 days !!

I have continued to call both and continued to get conflicting storys..... Last week the update from 4Wheel Parts was that it would now be this summer before shippment.... So once again I called ORU, acting like a new customer, and was told they are completing all their back orders and if I ordered the rack then, I should get it in approx 2-3 weeks. ??

Called 4 wheel parts... again they say ORU are not manufacturing any and still expect shipping this summer. Wondering if ORU was just wanting to get more orders on the books ???? ( or not prioritizing 4Wheel Parts orders ??)

4 Wheel Parts have been very polite and have offered me a $50 discount on any future order if I do not cancel this rack order.

Soooo.. Some day I hope I can complete my last major project and mount my lights...

I'll update again with any new relevant info.. hope this helps anyone thinking about the Defender Roof rack. I do like the rack ! Just wish I had better luck in trying to get it ...
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I would have cancled the order already if it was me. If you want my $$ I want my parts!!!!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I will say that sucks. When I got my first one, there was some quality defects, so Offroad unlimited said they would replace it. It took almost a year to get my replacement. I will say, I do love the rack though.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    And I love the one they replaced yours with lol.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    And I love the one they replaced yours with lol.
    Yup & you beat me to it ..Lol..

Update.. I called ORU and they said a week or so... So I called 4Wheelparts... Had a longer talk with them and .... They got back to me and I learned that ORU and 4Wheel Parts are now "sister" company's ( 4wheel bought/bailed them out?).

The new racks are on a ship at sea.......
    Should be in the states at the end of Febuary.....
    Then sent to Texas to a warehouse and in my hands by mid March....

My first big off road Jeep Jamboree is Mid March.. Hoping it arrives and I have time to mount it and my lights by then...but I'll believe it when I see it..
    Last edited by 1USMC; 03-13-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Wasn't there a movie called “The never ending story “ ?

I think it was about a Defender roof rack.. ya ya that’s it !!!

Called 4 Wheel Parts today, for an update….they said they would check with the manufacture on the status of my Defender roof rack.. after a long wait they said the new racks did not meet quality control and was not shipped to the USA.. ???
    I had been told previously they had been already shipped .

So now the mid to the end of summer for the next expected delivery date. Again…???

Called ORU.. this time I was told they had them in stock and could be sent out tomorrow ???

Called back to 4WP’s , the operator said the only order they have for me is with Smittybilt ????

Gave them my parts #ORU45505 & ORUDS24-6 , from last Feb 2012.. she said the part #’s were recently changed to S/B45505 & S/BDS24-6 . A Smittybilt part number ????

Called Smittybilt, at least I got the same story from them about the status of the racks.. ...

So I now have a supervisor from 4WP’s working with me .. I know a little late… He said that 4WP’s relationship had soured and they did not like working with ORU and stopped using them,( OK what about the sister company stuff ?) or using them for some of their products ( the defender roof rack). He said the SB Defender roof rack should even be better… ?...

The supervisor said he would check on the exact status of this order and get back to me very soon.

If I trusted ( and I don’t) that ORU had a rack in stock..and ordered one from them, my cost would be $240 more than when (if) I get one through 4WP’s.
    With the stories I heard about ORU in reference to their rack/ quality/ customer support and now the cost difference, what is a few more months ??

Ouch.. This was to be my last major mod (rack&lights) … I was really wanting to finish her up and take some final photos…

So back to the movie… I guess I’ll be the Guinea pig ( or sucker Lol) for the “ new and possibly improved” Defender Roof rack.
    I wonder how many more sequels I will have to make ….. ??

Stayed tuned …. But please don’t hold your breath !!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 03-13-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    holy f'in hell man!!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    You could have had one custom built by now with the time and money you got in this "unicorn" defender rack.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    You could have had one custom built by now with the time and money you got in this "unicorn" defender rack.

No Sh** .. and I think I'm still paying interest on my CCard on this .. Grrr..

OM G .... I just received an e-mail that my rack should be here by next week. Of course I could be just dreaming.

I'm busy again now.. so IF i receive it and IF it is the correct one and IF.. ( you get the idea ) > it may be a month or so before I can finish the wiring and install the rack and rack lights .

Who Knows....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information