Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defender Roof Rack update

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Crazy hire long it's been.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Lets see, I forgot what chapter I was on........ Oh ya... Pi .... the never ending number.....

Well it ARRIVED !!!

Took a quick look at it at my friends shop ( free shipping there) looks OK so far with out pulling it out of the box.

So I took the mounting pieces home and had to go outside and tinker to figure out how it mounts.

The instructions and labeling of parts seemed slightly confusing ( could just be me LOL), and no matter how hard I tried to figure it out something didn't add up. Yup.... it was the parts......missing pieces in the mounting kit !

My Luck at least is always consistent !

So now a call to the new proclaimed "owners" of the Defender Roof Racks ( Smittybilt ) and they will sent me the parts ASAP, but not until after I have to go back to work.

So.... a lot closer ( barring any other surprises when I actually unpack the rack itself) than I have been in the past.

So.... perhaps in another month or two I can link this thread to my " Defender Roof Rack Installation" thread.

( I still don't care what Matt did..... Its going ON... LoL ...)

Mmmmm... Now what comes after Pi ????

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    lol damn dude...

Hey I'll sell you a Rola

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    lol damn dude...

Hey I'll sell you a Rola

I bet I could get it and install it before this one is even close to being ready !! LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by 1USMC View Post
    I bet I could get it and install it before this one is even close to being ready !! LOL...
    I'd say that'd still hold true if I hand carried it to Texas for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd say that'd still hold true if I hand carried it to Texas for you!

... Yup ...

P.S. You can use that as an option now if you find out you need to catch up on some sleep.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 05-30-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Lets see where was I at the last update ????

Oh ya .... FINALLY arrived ... then the missing parts .. will be sent out ASAP by Smittybilt and when I get home the next time its all ready to go .... you all know better !!!

Need a snack or cold drink..nows the time.

So.... after working with a great Smittybilt representative on the phone, trying to figure out the missing pieces and their names and promising me he would send them out ASAP... I finally arrive home ( 3 weeks later .. another story LOL) and looked around in a large pile of mail and a few boxes my wife had stacked for me. I did not find a box from SB.

So I called them back up an spoke to one of their reps, MIKE.

I explained ( briefly) my very very very very very long history of this order and the previous reps promise to send the missing parts. MIKE said their was no record of my previous call and he would need all the order numbers and previous correspondence and preferably photos before he could consider sending out a couple of dollars worth of missing parts ( out of a $600 order) THEY failed to send correctly in the first place !!

I told him about how the previous rep had even taken the time to pull one of the "kits"of his shelf and was looking at the parts and instructions along with me. Mike said that I had probably called some other vendor by mistake and had a conversation with the wrong company !!!

He was rude and condescending on the phone and treated me like I was some sort of con-man and trying to scam them. Thats why the burden to legitimize my problem to him was all on my shoulders !!!

End of conversation.... but not the story if you are familiar with my " Defender Roof Rack " journey LOL.....

My wife had placed a couple of small boxes in a place I had not seen.... and YES a box from Smittybuilt !!! Yaaa it finally over.!!!. now all I need is to find the time to mount it and my lights !!!!

Oh come on.... you all know better by now ;-)

The box had a small ziplock bag with a few lock and flat washers in them... very good if they where the missing pieces !!!! But and yes .. they where NOT.

Some of pieces I was missing are part of a two piece "clamp" that sort of sandwiches around the rail and when tightened clamps the rack mount to the rail. Unfortunately the top piece of the two are labeled in the instructions as " flat washers". They are about 3X2" and square sided with two sides curved down to better clamp the top of the rail.

Are we having fun yet !!!

Now I went back and looked up my phone history and found my first phone call to THEIR company. The box even had the same phone number on it and was sent out a few days later after my first call. ( the first rep really did go out of his way to help me and I must make that known to be fair).

Now I have sent a very long e-mail to MIKE at SB with a photo of the kit all laid out. I told him ( among a lot of other things) that since he has such a good handle on everything , he can figure out what pieces I am missing so there will not be any future misunderstandings in the future !

So I guess I will now be in the market for another roof rack as he will probable never reply. ( emoticon > smiley face , but with fire shooting out behind it ).

Stay tuned.... I will start getting my kid up to speed on this journey so she can continue updating my thread for me after I am long gone . LOL

;-(

Oh almost forgot..... remember the $50 credit from 4Wheel Parts I was promised if I keep my order for the rack.

After I received the rack I called them as had been waiting for a while to order something I wanted to get for the Jeep and had been waiting for the credit . Guess what.. yup >> what credit they said !! I politely explained that a little over a year ago they said and shortly there after they confirmed etc etc etc etc.... and I said etc etc and they said etc etc.......

OK, I did upon return from work, have a credit card from 4WP but ... wait for it... $25 dollars ... Why am I so jinx'd on this order ???

Another round of phone calls and crying and begging and ..... OK they upped it to originally promised $50.

Mmm now I wonder if I could just weld the rack on .....
    Last edited by 1USMC; 06-28-2013 at 08:41 PM.

This is absolutely unreal man......

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I world have turned very violent already.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Matt > Oh and I and think you read it before I remembered to add the 4WheelParts story at the end.. LOL..;-)(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information