Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing factory flap over air intake

Removing factory flap over air intake

Hi Guys,

Instead of a CAI (I am scared of the water issues) I have just removed the flat flap that covers the front of the air intake tube behind the grill that goes to the factory box. From what I can see this should provide a clear path from the grill straight into the factory box which is still offering protection to the intake against the elements. Short of dunking it in a river and taking water straight in do you think rain etc will make its way up the tube and into the filter box?

thanks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    yes, removing that shield will induce more rain/water/dirt flow into your intake..... and for no real benefit. Especially for daily driving you're not going to see any improvement and therefore the risks just arent worth it IMO.

if you're going to make a few passes at the track one night, go ahead and remove it to make yourself feel better. Otherwise id recommend leaving it on. $.02

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    I agree with MAtt, when I installed my k&n I noticed a huge problem with water getting in so I made a custompieces to go in behind the grill and under the intake to protect it, Ill post up the link..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Yeah I would take Matt's advice as well. I intended to do this and actually removed it myself. There was no benefit that is noticable. I ended up doing what Matt did and just replacing the intake tube as well as the air filter and keeping the stock airbox. This provides more then enough air then stock at the same time keeping water out.
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    If you are looking for an intake, try AFE - it uses the bottom 3/4 of the stock airbox. Thus keeping the design. Though my only complaint with it, is it does not remove the big air silencer that sits on top of the engine..
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Member Looking for Dirt
    I noticed an air intake temperature of 8 degrees lower just by removing the shield the OP is talking about, and that is an average value (at highway speeds). YMMV if you are using a stock intake system. If you do off roading and splashing through rivers I would not reccomend it but it sure as crap wouldn't save you from hydrolock as is..Although I use an AFE intake (full kit) that does not totally seal the charge to draw air 100% from that location. Also my afe intake totally removes the big silencer and is a very nice peice, like bones said it uses the lower half of the factory airbox in which it clips onto..

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteyturbo View Post
    I noticed an air intake temperature of 8 degrees lower just by removing the shield the OP is talking about, and that is an average value (at highway speeds). YMMV if you are using a stock intake system. If you do off roading and splashing through rivers I would not reccomend it but it sure as crap wouldn't save you from hydrolock as is..Although I use an AFE intake (full kit) that does not totally seal the charge to draw air 100% from that location. Also my afe intake totally removes the big silencer and is a very nice peice, like bones said it uses the lower half of the factory airbox in which it clips onto..
    No to hijack but... I didnt know they made a full kit that removed the big air silencer. I need to check into that. FWIW my intake is almost 5 years old and still is in great shape. Couldnt be happier with AFE.
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    No to hijack but... I didnt know they made a full kit that removed the big air silencer. I need to check into that. FWIW my intake is almost 5 years old and still is in great shape. Couldnt be happier with AFE.
    Probably due to the fact I have the 5.7 as opposed to the 4.7.. Also my iats were probably lower because with my intake, air is not 100% pulled from the front like stock, so removing the shield helped force some cool air in.. A stock intake pulls from that same location 100% so there would not be any gains or lower temps from removing this peice. Just to clarify

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I kind of wonder what the value is for installing a CAI just to box it off for fear of ingesting water. Wouldn't a drop-in K&N filter (or similar) be a better choice?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information