Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need towing recommendations

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I'm a little late to the party, but will add my 2 cents (exactly what it's worth).

I tow a 20' enclosed trailer that, when loaded, comes in at about 7000lbs. With a proper weight distribution setup, it pulls pretty good. The weight distribution can actually help with the sway as well, but it can get a little hairy from time to time.

I also use the P3 controller - works great. I got the mopar brake controller harness which made the install even easier - plug-n-play! Why this wasn't included with the towing prep package I have no idea.

I bought my stuff from etrailer.com for probably about $500 total.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I would not break 7000 lbswith the XK. I am also adding air bags to help compensate for the soft coil sprung rear suspension
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Been a while so I thought I'd follow up. Ended up buying the camper, with the first trip last week. About 750 miles round trip. Towing was surprisingly smooth. While I could certainly feel the load there was no sway or bucking at all. I'm convinced that swaying is more a function of unbalanced trailer loading than the size and weight of the load.

Probably a 20mph+ crosswind for about 50 miles and everything tracked very well. Plenty of power to pull, but the roads were midwest-flat. I reserve the right to change my opinion once I hit some mountains!

Commander looks awfully small hooked up. Gas mileage wasn't much worse than I get around town without a trailer. 10.7 MPG one way with a howling tailwind most of the way and 9.7 MPG the other way with calm winds. Not bad for a rolling refrigerator towing a giant 6k lb shoebox @ 65mph.

edit: Had another trip towing through some serious hills near Savanna IL (yes, there are some hills in IL!) Not long grades like mountains, but constantly up and down several hundred feet of steep. Mileage dropped to 8.3. Not good, but still better than most Class A motor homes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-01 14.57.30.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	1989  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-01 15.12.33.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	1990  

Last edited by altarocks; 07-14-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information