I see quite a few posts/threads about towing, but my forum searches turned up blanks when I look for specific info. I'm hoping some of you experienced riggers can help point me in the right direction.

Up until now my towing has been limited to my boat with surge brakes (~3,500 lbs) behind a Silverado. I could barely feel it. I recently traded in the Silverado for an '09 Overland. My wife suddenly decided she wants to buy a camper. She has her eye on a 29', empty weight just under 5,800 and tongue weight of 645. The camper salesman told me he is happy (I bet he is!) to set me up with a weight distribution hitch and brake controller for the low low price of around $1,600.

Seems pretty pricey to me and looks like DIY is pretty easy. I'm thinking I can do this for under $500. The WDH seems pretty basic, and different manufacturers seem to offer up pretty much the same thing. But there are a ton of different brake controllers out there, and I'm wondering how to go abut choosing one. I can add the WDH after I get the camper home, but have to have the brake controller in place when I buy. I've read reviews for installing the controller that range from 10 minutes to 10 hours

Advice on specific products for either? Also hoping to get an idea how long each will take to install.