Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Man Emu front struts with HD springs saga

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar

Old Man Emu front struts with HD springs saga

Well I've spent a good portion of the weekend replacing my old Bilstein struts and OE springs with my new OME struts and heavy duty OME springs trying to get them installed on my Superlift. Needless to say, they don't fit. Matt set me straight that I'm not the first one to have this problem and others have had to cut a coil off the springs to make it work. I didn't want to (1) sell my HD struts and buy MD struts because it sounds like you still need to cut off a half coil, and (2) put my OEM springs back on.

The OME struts are the same specs as the OE struts. I did finally get the strut with the 4" SL spacer in place and mounted, but I couldn't come close to getting the knuckle up to the UCA to attach it w/o spring compressors. (I don't want to have to carry springs compressors on my off-road adventures just to change out a CV!). I don't really understand why the Bilsteins fit and the OMEs didn't since the springs only change the compression force and not the geometry and I was always able to get the knucle attached w/o compressors when changing out a CV.

Since I had some Rocky Road (1-5/8") front spacers left over from my first lift, I decider to mount those up and see how it looked. That seems to work (I've only done the drivers side so far so I can compare).

In all the messing around, I did discover some important details:

1. With the OME and 4" spacer, the CV was binding at full droop with the knuckle disconnected. This tells me that once the knuckle is attached to the UCA, it will be the limiting factor in a full droop and the strut doesn't come close to full extension. It also means that we should be very careful when disconnecting the front sway bar!
    2. With the RR spacer (I had to go out and buy some 1/2" x 3" bolts), everything went together easily, but my droop is now limited (44" to top of wheel well previously, vs 41" with the RR spacer).
    3. The ride seems no different! The HD springs are just as mushy as the OE.
    4. Sag is not a problem with the short spacer and HD springs. Both sides seem to compress about the same amount.
    5. Both sides sit at 38" normally.

What this tells me is that I need 3" spacers. If you all agree, I'll have my buddy fab some up this week and give it a try.

Photos here:
    http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Bi...w/OME%20Struts
    Last edited by TrialByFire; 04-21-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added link to photos
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused as to what you're finally set up is as of now. Did you take the OME coils out and instead put the RR spacer back in (w/ OME strut and OE coil)?

Also, are you just doing this for extra lift or are your coils and Bilsteins shot?
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I know what I had to do with the OME struts and springs is cut one complete coil off the spring and remove the preload plate that comes with the SL! I don't know if this helps but try removing the preload plate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I didn't even think of the preload spacer.... definitely remove that if its still in there.

But now you have me thinking; I like the 3" spacer idea.

A quick note though. JBA recently updated their UCA design to allow more clearance. You may want to consider swapping them out to get more travel back before the spindle hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I didn't even think of the preload spacer.... definitely remove that if its still in there.

But now you have me thinking; I like the 3" spacer idea.

A quick note though. JBA recently updated their UCA design to allow more clearance. You may want to consider swapping them out to get more travel back before the spindle hits.
    That's my plane in a couple of months down the road. I do like the idea of a 3" spacer but since I already cut my coils I'll pass on that. On another note you might want to rig up some limit straps up front as well that way you can disconnect the front without to many issues!

I'm upgrading because my Bilsteins are shot and the OE springs sagging causing a lot of tire rubbing.

I can also try removing the pre-load spacer but I suspect it won't buy me enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stites-xk View Post
    That's my plane in a couple of months down the road. I do like the idea of a 3" spacer but since I already cut my coils I'll pass on that. On another note you might want to rig up some limit straps up front as well that way you can disconnect the front without to many issues!
    If I need to add limit straps, I might as well go with a shorter spacer and let the knuckle limit the down travel, no?
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Oh I understand. Are your springs sagging because they are shot or because of all your extra weight? If they're in good condition and you're willing to sell, I might be interested.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post

If I need to add limit straps, I might as well go with a shorter spacer and let the knuckle limit the down travel, no?
    If you keep the OME springs the way they are and go with a 2" spacer then that would still be 4" of lift? So I would have to say yes!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    So just to help wrap my head around this.. you previously had 44" fully extended and now have 41" fully extended due to the shorter spacer correct? At 44" was the CV binding, so you're content limiting travel to 44"?

Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    Oh I understand. Are your springs sagging because they are shot or because of all your extra weight? If they're in good condition and you're willing to sell, I might be interested.
    [Sorry for the delay in posting. I tried for two hours last night to post but the forum kept timing out. What's up with that? Is everyone else having troubles with this site?]

I decided to replace them because with the bumper, winch, and Hemi, the front was sagging enough for some significant tire rubbing. The springs are still good and I would be willing to sell them. The Bilsteins are questionable but 'feel' ok.

Matt,
    When I had the strut with 4" spacer in place--bolted top and bottom, but with the UCA disconnected from the knuckle--I was unable to rotate the knuckle into place because of binding in the CV. I think I would be more confident in the CV if I limit the droop to 43" when fully extended--hence the 3" spacer. That is measured from the ground to inside fender with the tire barely touching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information