Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OME HD at 38" in front.....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty cabledog25's Avatar
    get a digital camera :P

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    I have a digital camara...... imbedded in the phone!

It's no Nikon D70 or even a Coolpix for that matter.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Do you have a case that covers the lens? If not, try cleaning the lens. Every picture I post is from my phone (Galaxy S and now the S3). They automatically load to dropbox the I upload them to photobucket when im on my computer.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Attachment 1835

Attachment 1836

Yea, that's about how mine looks as far as height in the front. I'll try to post up some pics since I just installed my snorkel last weekend.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

I added Monroe Load Levelers in the back to bring it up an inch to 37 1/2. I had also planned on adding Matt's spacer, but there is a problem......... it barely squeaks through the garage now.....

What does that black triangular bubble that sticks up on the back center of the roof do? And can I remove it before the garage does? It might make a mess when it does it.

Also, I might be higher in the front due to not cranking the strut bolt all the way down on the spring until it bottomed out. What are the implications of this? maybe it is causing clunking in the front end when going over bumps and additional height (who wants that!)

Also what is the best way to tighten that nut once the struts are in place? I used tin shears to increase access through the fender tower but the shaft spins with the nut. If i grab it from below with vise grips it may mark up the shaft and create leaks in the seal, no??????

Quote Originally Posted by thance View Post
    I added Monroe Load Levelers in the back to bring it up an inch to 37 1/2. I had also planned on adding Matt's spacer, but there is a problem......... it barely squeaks through the garage now.....

What does that black triangular bubble that sticks up on the back center of the roof do? And can I remove it before the garage does? It might make a mess when it does it.

Also, I might be higher in the front due to not cranking the strut bolt all the way down on the spring until it bottomed out. What are the implications of this? maybe it is causing clunking in the front end when going over bumps and additional height (who wants that!)

Also what is the best way to tighten that nut once the struts are in place? I used tin shears to increase access through the fender tower but the shaft spins with the nut. If i grab it from below with vise grips it may mark up the shaft and create leaks in the seal, no??????
    Anybody????

Also, what do the front and rear fender heights come out to with an unmodified SL?

That black piece is the satellite radio antenna. How low is your garage opening? ? I barely fit in mine but I have a roof rack.

Your front end noise is definitely the strut nut being loose. You can install spring compressors to take some preload off the mount and use a coordless impact to turn the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That black piece is the satellite radio antenna. How low is your garage opening? ? I barely fit in mine but I have a roof rack.

Your front end noise is definitely the strut nut being loose. You can install spring compressors to take some preload off the mount and use a coordless impact to turn the nut.
    The garage door is the same height as the satellite antenna, maybe a smidge less as it squeezes through.

I will have to see if it can be easily removed without making or leaving a mess as I don't use it.

I wonder if cranking the strut nuts down will reduce my lift in the front... I guess I will be finding out.

It probably will.... hell you might bring it down 1/2"

wouldn't jacking up the lower A-arm reduce the preload better than the spring compressor? or am I missing something?

My spring compressors that I used when installing are the same one's in your picture of what not to use. They worked fine but I was certainly on edge during the process.

On a side not, those were too big for my wife's Libby (KJ), so I had to buy a cheaper autozone set that kept on snapping around and bumping into each other.... never came off, but quite alarming and you have to start over each time as the spring is bent in a U.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information