Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Real Estate Title Examiner for Landtitle USA.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Two-way radio technician. (Police, fire, dispatch centers, Hanford Nuclear comm systems, etc.) And, no, I do NOT work on CB's. I've been with this company for 32 years.

I'm also a locksmith, and have a degree in refrigeration. I just do company related work, I don't go out at night and unlock cars for people, or fix fridges.

I quit after the 8th grade, GED'ed out, (Never did see the inside of a high school) and was wiring houses all by myself at 16. I didn't even have a driver's license yet... I'd get dropped off at the new house with a pile of wire, breaker panel, switch boxes, a Hole-hog drill, and the set of plans for the house, and I'd go to work. Later, I got into commercial electrical, (which was more fun) and by 18, got hired on as a temp by Motorola. I was ''stole away'' from Motorola in '78, and have been here ever since.

My side jobs for many years, (Mainly for friends etc.) is wiring race Jeeps and hotrods. There's been a few fun ones such as a '46 Ford flat nose truck. It has a mid engine 426 Hemi with a Roots blower on top. All the engine electronics went under the seat in the cab. The guy built a cage over the engine. (Like an animal cage at a zoo) Despite weighing about 9,500 lbs. the truck will do zero to 60 in about 5 seconds. The original duels were replaced with 3 foot wide racing slicks.

My hobbies include playing with lasers with enough power to drill holes and leave the mark of Zorro, flying, boating, hiking, Jeeping, (Duh) and traveling the USA in a 40 diesel motorcoach.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I have met Adondo and I would swear that he has a PHD in several fields. He is a great source of information for this and other web sites. Hopefully he will post some of his projects such as his much easier to build storage box for the third seat area.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I'm a retired Analyst/Programmer ...retired in 2002. Then I became a carpenter of sorts, bending nails on a little 2 bedroom home I bought, gutted and rebuilt as new. I was pretty proud of that project. Then I went to truck driving school and drove a big truck all over the country. In the first 6 months, I was in every one of the 48 lower states. Drove a few years, some full-time, some part-time. Now fully retired and my job is to keep Joany happy. Joany and I got married almost 4 years ago and she is a sweety.

Hobbies are sailing my Catalina 30 in Lake Michigan, gardening, playing "up north" in Michigan year round and taking a spin every now and then off-road in my Commander.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I sell insurance. But you don't want to buy from me. I dont write life and health, I dont want to write auto and home owners insurance, and most policies I write start at $5000 a year. I specialize in amusement rides, bars and used car dealers. I told my attorney he should find someone other than me to write his auto and home insurance. But he said no.

Other than me, who is self employed/unemployed?
    When I talk about past jobs, employed by someone else, I usually say"When I had a job".
    Self employed/unemployed are almost the same to me.

Me

I'm just a dumb tech (to steal doc's saying). But for me it's pretty true. ASE master certifed and currently working on Mercedes at a local stealership. Before this I was
    managing a shop called Frank Racing and building late model Hemi cars and trucks. Prior to that I worked for Hennessey Performance where I was just referred to as the hemi tech. I did however get to spin wrenches on some Vipers, ford gt's, prowlers, and porches before I left. I own a small business which does some pArts sales in my spare time and have plans on opening a shop in the next few years.

Maybe I just need to go to work for Doc to get some learnin on how to properly run a business and how to fabricate.

Glad to be a part of a community of great Jeep owners here.

J

Junior Member Looking for Dirt bruijr's Avatar
    I'm working for Fokker Aerostructures. This is a Dutch company making airplane parts for almost every major aircraft manufacturer. We make parts for Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Airbus, Gulfstream, NH Industries, Dassault, Bombardier and more. For more than seven years now I've been relocated as a Manufacturing Engineer at our US customers during the design en development phases of new aircraft (re)design. My main task is checking produceability and developing manufacturing strategies for detail parts to final structure assemblies made out of aluminum, titanium and composites (mainly carbon fiber part).
    I've worked five years at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, TX on the F-35 and now for over two years at Boeing in Mesa, AZ on the AH-64 Apache.
    Before my relocation I was a Production Engineer for sweveral other programs at our facilities in the Netherlands.
    2007 4x4 Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Mods:
    OME HD Lift, 1/4" Rusty's strut plates, HD UCA's
    American Racing ATX Mojave wheels with Goodyear Duratrac 265/70 R17 tires
    Mopar skid plates & sport utility bars, 12" billet antenna

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I build and test the LEAP series atom probes seen here: http://www.cameca.com/instruments-fo...tom-probe.aspx

After stunt driver, this IS my dream job.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    BUMP for the new guys to chime in

Member Looking for Dirt
    I am a shop supervisor for a custom plastic fabrication company. I am a DVS certified thermo-plastics welder.
    We build anything a customer wants made from plastic sheet, rod, pipe, etc. We build chemical storage vessels, powder coat paint booth canopies, dipping tanks, and much more. We use various CNC machines; routers, lathes, benders, 150" panel saw.
    I have been in the plastic fab. biz for almost 20 yrs.

My part time job is taking care of my reef aquariums.
    Last edited by DEERE G; 09-29-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    - Keith -

07' RedRock Crystal Sport XK, 4.7 Flex, QDII, leather, power liftgate, remote start, moonroof, skylights, power pedals and seats, Boston Accoustics, 20% tint, Mopar skid plates, splash guards and slush guards, 2" RC lift, SpiderTrax, Kelly TSR 265/70/17 .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information